Duke Trustee Lisa Borders steps from WNBA presidency to become CEO of 'Time's Up'

A member of Duke's Board of Trustees will become the inaugural president and CEO of Time’s Up.

Lisa Borders, Trinity '79, resigned from her position as president of the Women’s National Basketball Association to take on her new role. NBA Deputy Commissioner Mark Tatum will be the interim president as the WNBA continues its search for a permanent replacement.

“We are extremely grateful for Lisa’s leadership and tireless commitment to the WNBA,” NBA Commissioner Adam Silver, Trinity '84 and Board of Trustees member, said in a news release. “This is a natural transition for Lisa knowing what a champion she is for issues involving women’s empowerment and social justice and fortunately for us, she leaves the league with strong tail winds propelling it forward.”

At the helm of the WNBA since 2016, Borders has sparked increased viewership and attendance, ranging from high levels of regular-season attendance to the highest viewership for the past four years. 

Fans also now have more ways to interact with the league through live-streamed games on Twitter and through FanDuel, a fantasy sports provider. 

“It has been an honor and my absolute privilege leading the WNBA and being part of what it stands for,” Borders said in the release. “I want to thank Adam for giving me the opportunity and support to help grow this league. I am most proud of the W players for their amazing talents on the court and their dedication to making an impact in their communities."

Inspired by the #MeToo movement, Time’s Up advocates for those affected by sexual assault. Founded in January 2018 in response to multiple sexual assault allegations against prominent people in the entertainment industry—known as the 'Weinstein effect'—the organization promotes safe and equitable work environments for women.

"I look forward to continuing my support for the W in my new role with Time’s Up. I will always be the W’s biggest advocate and fan," Borders said.

Stefanie Pousoulides profile
Stefanie Pousoulides | Investigations Editor

Stefanie Pousoulides is The Chronicle's Investigations Editor. A senior from Akron, Ohio, Stefanie is double majoring in political science and international comparative studies and serves as a Senior Editor of The Muse Magazine, Duke's feminist magazine. She is also a former co-Editor-in-Chief of The Muse Magazine and a former reporting intern at PolitiFact in Washington, D.C.

Share and discuss “Duke Trustee Lisa Borders steps from WNBA presidency to become CEO of 'Time's Up'” on social media.