Duke women's basketball 2016-17 player preview: Crystal Primm

<p>Crystal Primm is not very dangerous&nbsp;from the perimeter, but can still&nbsp;attack the basket and finish at the rim well.</p>

Crystal Primm is not very dangerous from the perimeter, but can still attack the basket and finish at the rim well.

Crystal Primm

• Year: Sophomore
  • Height: 5-foot-11
  • Position: Guard
  • Last year’s statline: 4.6 PPG, 2.6 RPG, 0.8 APG

Game Breakdown: Primm made her mark primarily on the defensive end of the court last season, often pairing up with fellow guard Kyra Lambert to guard the opposing team’s best backcourt players. Primm’s footwork and quickness allows her to pressure opposing players on the perimeter, often frustrating them into turnovers.

But Primm struggled offensively without other shooters surrounding her, as her game relies primarily on slashing cuts to the paint. Opponents dared her to take outside shots, and the sophomore guard failed to make a 3-point attempt last season and shot only 40.1 percent from the field, limiting her time on the court when Duke was losing.

Role on the Team: Like she did last season, head coach Joanne P. McCallie will call upon Primm when the Blue Devils need to get a stop on defense. The West Palm Beach, Fla., native will find playing time off the bench due to her defensive abilities, and if she has developed a steady jump shot in the offseason, Primm may challenge Lambert for one of the lead guard spots in the starting lineup.

Primm should also see the court in situations in which one of the opposing team’s frontcourt players is in foul trouble because she does not shy away from contact near the rim, making it tough for defenders to challenge her shot near the basket.

Projected Statline: 6.3 PPG, 1.8 RPG, 1.0 APG, 1.2 SPG

Stay tuned to the Blue Zone for our continuing player previews with sophomore Kyra Lambert tomorrow. Previous players previewed include Leaonna Odom, Haley Gorecki and Faith Suggs.

Share and discuss “Duke women's basketball 2016-17 player preview: Crystal Primm” on social media.