Duke men's basketball 2016-17 player preview: Sean Obi

<p>Sean Obi has struggled to adjust to the level of play at Duke since transferring from Rice after his freshman year.</p>

Sean Obi has struggled to adjust to the level of play at Duke since transferring from Rice after his freshman year.

Sean Obi

• Year: Redshirt junior
  • Height: 6-foot-9
  • Position: Forward
  • Last year’s statline: 0.5 PPG, 1.0 RPG, 0.1 BPG

Game Breakdown: Obi’s game is in the paint. During his freshman year at Rice, he averaged 11.4 points and 9.3 rebounds per game en route to a Conference-USA All-Freshman Team selection. Although Obi’s size helps him grab boards and protect the paint defensively, he lacks the ability to create for himself out of the post on a consistent basis.

Since his time at Rice, Obi hasn’t shown much breakout potential—in his best outing last year, he only totaled two points and four rebounds—but his number could be called depending on Harry Giles’ health and how Amile Jefferson looks returning to action. Obi’s skillset will help the team out whether he’s filling in for an injured teammate or playing limited minutes off the bench.

Role on the Team: Obi will be sidelined for the beginning of the season while he recovers from knee surgery in June, and it is unclear when he will return. After transferring from Rice following his freshman season, Obi hasn’t seen much on-court action, and don’t expect that to change anytime soon. Unless the Kaduna, Nigeria, native really wows head coach Mike Krzyzewski in practice, his role likely won’t increase much, if at all, this year.

Even with an injury-depleted frontcourt after Jefferson broke his foot last December, Obi only appeared in 10 games last season, averaging 2.7 minutes per game off the bench. Throw Jayson Tatum, Giles, Jack White, Javin DeLaurier and a healthy Jefferson into the mix, and it looks like Obi could see even less playing time this season.

NBA Comparison: Obi most closely resembles former NBA journeyman Joel Anthony, who was the starting center for a championship-winning Miami Heat team in 2011-12. He didn’t earn his minutes with his post play or offensive ability, but with his defense and effort. Obi will not start for the preseason No. 1 Blue Devils this year, but he will play hard defense and crash the boards when his number is called.

Projected stats: 0.4 PPG, 1.6 RPG, 0.1 BPG

Stay tuned to the Blue Zone for our continuing player previews with junior Grayson Allen tomorrow. Previous players previewed include Jack White, Javin DeLaurier, Frank Jackson, Marques Bolden, Jayson Tatum, Harry Giles, Justin RobinsonAntonio VrankovicChase Jeter and Luke Kennard.

Share and discuss “Duke men's basketball 2016-17 player preview: Sean Obi” on social media.