Duke basketball 2015-16 player review: Luke Kennard

Luke Kennard

Season Breakdown: Kennard quickly emerged as a key player for Duke and took on a major role when senior Amile Jefferson was sidelined with a fractured foot. Rather than attempt to fill the captain's spot with another forward who could play in the post, head coach Mike Krzyzewski opted to go small and gave more minutes to the guard, who made just 11 of his first 43 triples to begin the season. Kennard made the most of the increased playing time and the Franklin, Ohio, native regularly saw around 30 minutes per game in the latter half of the season. By the season’s end, Kennard had entered the starting lineup.

The 6-foot-5 freshman—who was expected by many to play a supporting role before the season began—became a major offensive threat with his ability to stretch the floor. The guard was a staple for Duke behind the arc, where he hit 55 3-pointers despite spending the first half of the season in a limited role. Kennard also added to his game and displayed the ability to score off of screens as the season progressed. 

Kennard played 33.3 minutes per game in Duke’s three NCAA tournament games, averaging 10.3 points and 7.3 rebounds. Although Kennard and the Blue Devils were unable to advance past the Sweet 16, the freshman showed a lot of potential in his NCAA tournament debut. 

Results relative to expectations: Kennard wasn't supposed to see as much playing time as he did, but with injury came opportunity, and the freshman guard showed why he was so heavily recruited coming out of high school. Kennard was an important factor in Duke’s offense—which depended so heavily on the 3-point ball—and played solid defense against opposing guards in conference play.

For many, Kennard exceeded expectations in his first of possibly four seasons with the team. But next season brings uncertainty for the rising sophomore. Duke’s incoming freshman class includes ESPN Top 100 prospects Harry Giles, Jayson Tatum, Javin DeLaurier and Frank Jackson, and with Jefferson returning to the lineup, playing time might be hard to come by for Kennard. Look for the sophomore to continue improving his midrange game this summer by working extensively with assistant head coach Jon Scheyer. 

Share and discuss “Duke basketball 2015-16 player review: Luke Kennard” on social media.