Duke in the NBA: Former Blue Devils display talents at All-Star Weekend

Four former Blue Devils participated in All-Star Weekend festivities a week ago in Toronto as the first half of the NBA season came to a close. 

Jabari Parker, Milwaukee Bucks

Parker saw action during the All-Star break when he took the court for Team USA in the BBVA Rising Stars Challenge. The 6-foot-8 Duke product started at forward for the eventual winners of the contest. Parker contributed 12 points and five assists in nearly 24 minutes on the court, including a monster dunk over Rookie of the Year candidate Kristaps Porzingis. 

Parker and the Bucks return to action Friday for a home game against the Charlotte Hornets. The very next day, the former Blue Devil will travel to Atlanta to take on the Hawks. Parker will need to pick up the pace and become more of a contributor on a Bucks team that has failed to live up to expectations following a playoff berth last season. 

Jahlil Okafor, Philadelphia 76ers

In 18 minutes of play, Okafor recorded 13 points and four rebounds alongside Parker for Team USA in the Rising Stars Challenge. The former Duke big man finished 6-of-7 from the field and even hit a three-pointer. 

Okafor’s first game after the All-Star break will be an away contest against the New Orleans Pelicans. Despite being just a rookie, the center found himself in the news this week as a potential trade target for teams around the league. 

With the passing of the deadline Thursday afternoon, it appears that Okafor will remain in a 76ers uniform for the foreseeable future. 

Rodney Hood, Utah Jazz

Hood has emerged as one of the players to watch in the final quarter of the season with the former Blue Devils raising his play to a whole new level this season. Although Hood played the least out of any players on Team USA, he was efficient when on the court, and recorded 11 points. 

Hood and the Jazz played their first game since the All-Star Break Thursday when they fell 103-89 against the Washington Wizards. The forward played well in defeat scoring 18 points on 6-of-12 shooting from the floor in the game. Each game gets more and more important for the Jazz as they compete for the Western Conference’s final few play-off spots. Hood and his team will next take the court Friday against the Boston Celtics.

J.J. Redick, Los Angeles Clippers

Redick participated in the 3-Point Contest, but was eliminated in the first round after amassing 20 points, and losing the tiebreaker to Devin Booker of the Phoenix Suns. Redick and the Clippers are a near lock to make the playoffs in large part due to their high-powered offense. That offense, led by Redick’s blistering hot 3-point shooting, which was on display in Toronto, didn't cool down during the break as the Clippers won 105-86 Thursday night against the San Antonio Spurs. The guard played well once again as he scored 17 points and hit both his shots from beyond the arc. 

Share and discuss “Duke in the NBA: Former Blue Devils display talents at All-Star Weekend ” on social media.