2015-16 Duke women's basketball player preview: Lynee Belton

Lyneé Belton

• Year: Redshirt freshman
  • Height: 6-foot-3
  • Position: Forward/Center
  • Last year's statline: 3.8 PPG, 2.3 RPG 

Game Breakdown: Belton entered last season as a highly-touted recruit, but tore her ACL after only eight games of action. Although she will not be ready for the start of the season, Belton will slowly regain her old form, allowing her to flourish in transition play. Belton’s ability to get out on the fast break as a frontcourt player will allow Duke to constantly push the pace, taking advantage of its overall team speed. The Clinton, Md., native can finish with either hand in the lane and will be a valuable addition for a Blue Devil squad that lacks big bodies. 

Belton’s rebounding stands out when analyzing her overall game and head coach Joanne P. McCallie challenged her to grab 20 rebounds per game at Blue Devil camps this offseason. Belton’s smarts and strength allows her to get optimal position on her opponents. Belton is also relentless when it comes to the offensive boards, as she averaged 7.5 offensive rebounds per game as a high school senior.

Role on the Team: Belton will be brought along slowly by McCallie during her recovery process, and will not see regular minutes early in the season. But once she regains her form, expect her to be one of the first frontcourt players off the bench for the team.

Belton will be relied upon to bring energy and power to the team's frontline. Belton will be especially important in games that Duke wants to get out in transition. Her tireless motor and ability to make jump shots in the high post make Belton a key cog for McCallie’s squad. The former top-ten recruit will battle with fellow forwards Oderah Chidom, Kendall Cooper and Erin Mathias for minutes off the bench.

Projected Statline: 4.2 PPG, 3.7 RPG, 0.7 APG

Stay tuned with the Blue Zone for our continuing player previews with sophomore Azura Stevens tomorrow. Previous players previewed include Haley GoreckiCrystal PrimmKyra LambertFaith SuggsAngela Salvadores and Erin Mathias

Share and discuss “2015-16 Duke women's basketball player preview: Lynee Belton ” on social media.