Report: Duke associate head coach Jeff Capel removes himself from Arizona State discussion

After celebrating its fifth national title back in Durham Tuesday evening, Blue Devil fans might have some more good news to celebrate.

CBS Sports' Gary Parrish reported that Duke associate head coach Jeff Capel removed himself from the search for a new head coach occurring at Arizona State. Parrish previously reported that Capel—the Blue Devils' lead recruiter and top assistant to head coach Mike Krzyzewski—could have essentially taken the job if he wanted it and that the two parties had a positive meeting last week.

Twitter Tweet

In addition to being regarded as one of the top recruiters in the nation, Capel is known for his work with post players. He was the head coach at Oklahoma when current Clippers star Blake Griffin was there and worked closely with ACC Player of the Year Jahlil Okafor this season.

Arizona State is likely not the only school to offer Capel another head coaching stint in the near future, but it appears the former Virginia Commonwealth head coach will not be heading to Tempe, Ariz., next season.

Keep up with the Blue Zone for all your Duke basketball and recruiting news as the Blue Devils enter the offseason following their fifth national title.

Share and discuss “Report: Duke associate head coach Jeff Capel removes himself from Arizona State discussion” on social media.