Duke women’s basketball Player of the Week: Week 13

Rebecca Greenwell

Statline: Thursday, Feb. 12, at Virginia: 22 points on a 7-of-16 shooting, including 4-of-10 from 3-point range, five rebounds, two assists and three steals in 30 minutes.

The good: The Blue Devils' standout redshirt freshman guard led No. 11 Duke (19-6, 10-2 in the ACC) past Virginia 71-45 Thursday on the road. Greenwell's timely shooting helped the Blue Devils earned their sixth straight win and highlighted an otherwise ugly shooting performance from outside, as the other players on the court combined to go just 4-of-20 from distance. By knocking down four triples, the Owensboro, Ky., native broke former Duke star Abby Waner's freshman record of 50 triples in a season, which was established in 2005.

Greenwell has already knocked down 53 3-pointers this season while averaging 14.2 points and 6.0 rebounds per contest in her first season on the court in Durham. The 6-foot-1 guard is also improving on the defensive end and came up with three steals as her team turned 22 Cavalier turnovers into 24 points on the other end.

The bad: Greenwell is enjoying a terrific rookie season, but still leads her team in turnovers by averaging 2.92 per game after committing four Thursday night in Charlottesville. The one aspect of the game that has consistently plagued the Blue Devils this season is taking care of the ball and Greenwell is no exception, so the sharpshooter still has some room to grow in that department as Duke prepares for its final four games of the regular season.

The bottom line: Greenwell has been a reliable scorer all season long for the Blue Devils and anchors a team that at times struggles to find points on the perimeter. The former McDonald's All-American has scored in double figures in her last seven games and along with the dynamic post duo of Azura Stevens and Elizabeth Williams gives Duke a powerful trio it can usually count on to produce when games get tight. The Blue Devils will need more strong play from Greenwell with their visit to take on star guard Jewell Loyd and No. 4 Notre Dame (23-2, 10-1) slated for Monday night.

Honorable mention: Against the Cavaliers, Stevens delivered a double-double, scoring 10 points on a 4-of-13 shooting and adding a career-high 14 rebounds, nine of which were defensive. The 6-foot-5 freshman is a big reason why Duke leads in the nation in rebounding margin, out-rebounding opponents by almost 14 every contest, and also chipped in three steals against Virginia. The Blue Devil forward did not have a great shooting day, but found other ways to have a huge impact, which is an excellent sign as Duke enters the stretch run.

Share and discuss “Duke women’s basketball Player of the Week: Week 13” on social media.