DUSDAC talks potential food truck additions

While West Union remains under construction, the Duke University Student Dining Advisory Committee is considering additional food trucks to add to the lineup.

When it opens in Spring 2016, West Union will house approximately 12 food venues, replacing several that were lost when renovations began in Fall 2013. During their meeting Monday afternoon, members of DUSDAC leafed through branding options for the eateries that will open in the West Union. Contracts are still being negotiated with the venues, so the committee was unable to comment on the potential offerings being planned.

The construction on West Union is progressing on schedule although the timetable is tight, said Director of Dining Services Robert Coffey. The new West Union will be three stories high with glass bridges and student workspaces inside.

“I think it’s going to be a one-of-a-kind [eating venue] in the nation,” Coffey said.

In the interim, DUSDAC is looking to fill gaps in campus food selection by bringing in new food trucks or delivery options. In particular, the committee noted that students were interesting in having additional Mexican food options on campus.

Ninth Street eatery, Tijuana Flats, has expressed interest in becoming a delivery option, the committee discussed. The Tex-Mex chain already operates a delivery system through a third party.

The committee also discussed adding other options—including Sarge’s Chef on Wheels food truck which specializes in Asian and Caribbean food and a Belgian waffle food truck.

In other business:

Satisfaction Bar and Grill has been unresponsive with getting on the Merchants-on-Points system. After announcing that Satisfaction would fill a MOP spot in November, DUSDAC has faced delays and has been unable to contact representatives. If the sports bar does not respond by a Feb. 9 ultimatum, Satisfaction will lose its spot.

It is currently uncertain if the spot will be immediately replaced or remain vacant for the semester.

When West Union reopens it will include a new pub. In the Fall DUSDAC hosted a naming competition for the new venue, and has narrowed down submissions to a few finalists. The name was not decided during this meeting but will be determined based on a vote among DUSDAC members—some frontrunners included Devil’s Crafthouse and 1838 Crafthouse.

Share and discuss “DUSDAC talks potential food truck additions” on social media.