Coach K: 'I wish I was Coach W' due to pressure accolades put on team

LOUISVILLE, Ky.—There are a lot of privileges that come with being part of the Duke basketball program, one of the biggest being getting to work with the winningest head coach in men's college basketball history.

But that does not mean there are not a few drawbacks.

One of them that head coach Mike Krzyzewski cited after the No. 4 Blue Devils dispatched No. 6 Louisville at the KFC Yum! Center 63-52 Saturday afternoon is the pressure that comes with playing for such a decorated coach and extra attention as Krzyzewski approaches milestones such as win No. 1,000, which could come within the next week.

The 67-year old said always being under the microscope was likely one of the reasons Duke looked out of sorts and drained in recent losses to N.C. State and Miami.

“Our team is put in a tough position with me coaching it in that because of the accolades… it’s almost like we have to be perfect,” Krzyzewski said. “I can’t allow my team that albatross. I have to let them just be them. I have to be in their moment. I’m trying to take that burden off of them, how many wins we get, where Coach K is. I wish I was Coach W right now. It’s unfair to them because they get scrutinized so much, so I’m trying to lessen that as much as I can.”

Although he sometimes wishes he and his team were not constantly expected to perform like champions, Krzyzewski did acknowledge that wins like Saturday’s can be even more impactful for young, talented teams like the current Blue Devil squad.

With so many people doubting the team in the days leading up to the game, the way Duke responded in one of the toughest road environments in America could likely provide something even its coach can't—confidence.

Regardless of any offensive and defensive adjustments, Krzyzewski was more pleased with the Blue Devils' overall demeanor and outcome of the game.

“Confidence is not a pie that you cut,” Krzyzewski said. “This was a confidence builder.... We played our butts off today and we beat a really good team. You get confidence through accomplishment. Hopefully we can move on now.”

As Duke gained confidence throughout the game, it was clear that the Blue Devils were playing together more than they had in the previous three games. So although it may be tough when Duke does lose, it can really be another positive in the sense that Krzyzewski more often than not emphasizes the lessons the team can take away.

The question now after another statement Blue Devil victory against a top-10 opponent on the road is whether they can keep it up with several more tests looming.

“Hopefully we don’t have to go through losing as much to learn these lessons,” Krzyzewski said. “But we might. We have a long road ahead of us. It’s a long journey, this was a nice step for us. But it’s still going to be a journey.”

Share and discuss “Coach K: 'I wish I was Coach W' due to pressure accolades put on team” on social media.