The road to Tampa: Women's basketball update, Week 6

Despite a quiet week in the world of women’s basketball due to the holidays, several teams managed impressive performances either before or after a few days off from competition.

Ohio State opened the week by dominating No. 21 West Virginia 96-54 behind a record 39 points from freshman Kelsey Mitchell. The 5-foot-8 guard set an Ohio State freshman record for most points scored in a game and ranks third nationally with her 24.7 points-per-game average. The win for the Buckeyes marked the first of three straight games against ranked opponents, who are set to continue on the road against No. 15 Maryland Monday.

After four days off from any competition, No. 2 Connecticut won its third consecutive game by 30-plus points, routing Southern Methodist 96-45 and turning to prepare a home matchup against No. 10 Duke Monday, Dec. 29 at 9 p.m.

By Sunday, action around the country was back in full swing, featuring a handful of unexpected wins. No. 24 Green Bay finally breached the rankings after lingering on the bubble all season only to be upset by Dayton, 72-66. After trailing the Phoenix for most of the game, the Flyers grabbed a narrow 59-57 lead with five minutes remaining, but could not extend it until senior guard Andrea Hoover sank a three-pointer with 40 seconds left to go ahead 69-66. The play prompted a Green Bay timeout, but the Phoenix turned the ball over on the ensuing possession to leave Dayton with the ball and 22 seconds on the clock. A combination of made free throws and missed jumpers kept the Flyers ahead as time expired, leaving Dayton undefeated at home and ending Green Bay’s 2014 with a loss.

In another close upset, No. 20 Michigan St. opened conference play against Northwestern only to lose to the Wildcats for the first time in 11 years. After emerging victorious from their last 19 encounters with their Big Ten foe, the Spartans fell 61-57, relinquishing a 5-4 lead after the first media timeout and failing to reclaim it despite double-doubles from forwards Becca Mills and Aerial Powers. Northwestern will play just two more games before Michigan St. pays a visit to Evanston for a Jan. 11 rematch.

Seton Hall rounded out the week of upsets by defeating its first ranked opponent since 2007, decisively downing No. 14 Georgia 70-51. The Pirates’ 11th-straight win came with the help of double-digit scores from four different players, including 25 from junior forward Tabatha Richardson-Smith. The Bulldogs opened their season with 12 consecutive wins, but made just 18-of-58 shots from the field and saw two of their three best scorers—Shacobia Barbee and Krista Donald—held to a combined six points on the evening. Georgia will look to recover in 2015 with a matchup at No. 19 Mississippi St. Jan. 2, and Seton Hall hosts Butler Tuesday after receiving votes in the AP poll for the first time in 20 years.

Rivals in rank: No. 10 Duke at No. 2 Connecticut Monday, Dec. 29, 9 p.m.

ACC game to watch: Virginia at Virginia Tech Sunday, Jan. 4, 2 p.m.

Upset Alert: No. 17 Rutgers at Ohio State Thursday, Jan. 1, 2 p.m.

Share and discuss “The road to Tampa: Women's basketball update, Week 6” on social media.