Virginia basketball 2014-15 season preview

Virginia Cavaliers

2013-14 Record: 30-7, 16-2 in the ACC

Head coach: Tony Bennett

Tenure at Virginia: 6th season

Career coaching record: 175-93

Home court: John Paul Jones Arena

Starters: C Mike Tobey, F Anthony Gill, F Justin Anderson, G Malcom Brogdon, G London Perrantes

Bench: F Darion Atkins, F Evan Nolte

Overview: After last season's magical ACC title and Elite Eight run, the Cavaliers were ranked No. 9 in the Preseason AP Poll, but living up to heightened expectations won't be easy.

In the offseason, Virginia lost its two highest scorers to the NBA—sharpshooter Joe Harris to the Cleveland Cavaliers and big man Akil Mitchell, who is in the D-League. Harris was the offensive leader of the team, averaging 12.0 points per game and shooting 40 percent from beyond the arc. Mitchell was the defensive anchor of the team and accounted for almost 20 percent of the team's rebounds.

The Cavaliers still have high hopes because the reserves replacing the departed seniors saw plenty of minutes in big games last year. Justin Anderson averaged a respectable 7.8 points per game and Anthony Gill averaged 8.6 points per game and 4.0 rebounds. If the duo can step up with their expanded roles, Virginia has a good chance to make another deep run with Bennett's sound man-to-man defense.

But as has traditionally been the case, guard play will likely reign supreme once again in Charlottesville. London Perrantes was an effective floor general for Virginia, running one of the most efficient offenses in the nation. Furthermore, the Cavaliers were able to retain the services of All-ACC performer Malcom Brogdon. Brogdon was a cornerstone of the team on both ends of the court, averaging 12.7 points per game and 5.4 rebounds. With Harris gone after leading the team the past two seasons, Brogdon has a chance to show he is one of the best players in the country and have a breakout year.

One thing that needs to go right: Perrantes continues to improve as a pragmatic and decisive ball handler, running a well-oiled machine on offense.

One thing that could go wrong: The loss of the Cavaliers' two highest scorers proves too big a loss as Anderson and Gill can't step up and Virginia ends up being a one-hit wonder.

Share and discuss “Virginia basketball 2014-15 season preview” on social media.