Michigan State basketball 2014-2015 season preview

Michigan State Spartans

2013-14 Record: 29-9, 12-6 in the Big Ten

Head coach: Tom Izzo

Tenure at Michigan State: 20th season

Career coaching record: 468-187

Home court: Breslin Center

Starters: F Matt Costello, F Branden Dawson, F Denzel Valentine, G Bryn Forbes, G Travis Trice

Bench: G Lourawls Nairn, F Gavin Schilling, G Alvin Ellis, G Javon Bess

Overview: It speaks volumes to the basketball culture in East Lansing that Michigan State can lose three starters to the NBA and still be one of the favorites to win its conference. Although the No. 18 Spartans open in the AP Poll significantly lower than their usual top 10 status, they should still be a formidable squad in the Big Ten. Tom Izzo's incoming talent might not be as touted as the recruits at other powerhouses like Duke, North Carolina, Kansas and Kentucky, but Michigan State is fortunate to start a projected lineup that includes two seniors and two juniors. This veteran experience will prove critical in the early season as Izzo and his coaching staff get the underclassmen up to speed.

Other than solid upperclassmen leadership, the Spartans’ most valuable asset is their wide array of backcourt weapons. Shooting guard Travis Trice and Cleveland State transfer Bryn Forbes both average more than 40 percent from beyond the arc, and Denzel Valentine is a versatile wing scorer. They are joined by Lourawls Nairn, the No. 73 recruit in the ESPN Top 100, who should provide efficient relief off the bench with his quickness.

With forward Branden Dawson more suited to help space the floor for the Spartans, Matt Costello and Gavin Schilling help form the quintessential Izzo bruising frontcourt. However, although the 6-foot-9, 245-pound Costello carries a lot of weight in the low post, neither of the Michigan State big men have proven themselves in years past. The Spartans need one of them to step up so that they have a reliable interior presence that does more than just bulldoze for rebounds.

One thing that needs to go right: Dawson rides the momentum he established in last year’s postseason, when he almost averaged a double-double, en route to Michigan State’s trip to the Elite Eight.

One thing that could go wrong: Injuries plagued the Spartans last year, and Michigan State lacks enough depth this season to overcome them again in 2014-15. If one or more of the veterans can’t stay healthy, Spartan fans are in for a rough season.

Share and discuss “Michigan State basketball 2014-2015 season preview” on social media.