Halftime Report: Duke 57, Presbyterian 19

It wasn't a surprise, but it took no time for Jahlil Okafor, Tyus Jones and Justise Winslow to show the college basketball world why Duke's 2014 recruiting class was tabbed as the best in the nation. The trio combined for the Blue Devils' first 12 points that would propel them out to a lead they would not relinquish during the half.

Jumping out to a 12-2 in the first four minutes of the game, Duke's fast-paced play proved too much for Presbyterian early in the half, as the Blue Devils shot 57.9 percent in the first nine minutes and knocked down five 3-pointers.

The Blue Hose tried to settle into the game with three timeouts in the first 12 minutes, but continued to be stifled by a Duke full-court press defense that contributed to eight Presbyterian turnovers that led to Blue Devil points on the other end of court. It wasn't only turnovers that plagued the Blue Hose; they also had trouble shooting over the much larger Duke defense, scoring just seven field goals

Centers Will Truss and Jake Campbell had trouble containing Jahlil Okafor inside, with the freshman scoring 12 points and grabbing three rebounds in the first half of play. Okafor also ignited the Cameron Crazies with a couple of dunks that asserted his dominance in the paint.

Duke's backcourt was focused on feeding Okafor the ball, but his presence inside opened up the perimeter, and Matt Jones, Quinn Cook, Winslow, Tyus Jones, Rasheed Sulaimon and Grayson Allen all hitting treys to combine for a 9-of-16 clip from beyond the arc in the first.

Behind a near-flawless performance at both ends, the Blue Devils had built a 57-19 lead by the end of the half.

Observations from the first half:

• Senior guard Quinn Cook moved into in the starting lineup, replacing Matt Jones, who had started both exhibition games. Otherwise, Mike Krzyzewski's starting lineup remained the same.
  • Duke freshman Jahlil Okafor, Tyus Jones, Justise Winslow and Grayson Allen combined for 32 of the team's 57 first half points.
  • The Blue Devils played 10 different players in the first half. At one point, Krzyzewski subbed in five players off the bench early in the half, going back to his strategy of "platoon" substitutions.
  • Forward DeSean Murray provided the lone bright spot for the Blue Hose, scoring a team-high eight points in the first half.
  • Presbyterian guard Jordan Downing, who was our x-factor coming into the game only had one point in the first half.
  • Duke's aggressive defense resulted in 10 team fouls in the half. This put the Blue Hose in the bonus late in the half, but they only shot 5-of-8 from the charity stripe.

Share and discuss “Halftime Report: Duke 57, Presbyterian 19” on social media.