Four-star tight end Mark Birmingham commits to Duke football, adds to stacked 2016 class

Head coach David Cutcliffe have been racking up the wins of late and keep reeling in big-time recruits as a result.

In the Class of 2016, four-star wide receiver Scott Bracey—the No. 7 wideout and No. 32 player in the class according to ESPN's Junior 300 rankings—committed in late July. Bracey was arguably the biggest commit in program history.

Last month, three-star running back Elijah Deveaux, another ESPN Junior 300 talent, chose the Blue Devils instead of Mississippi State, Pittsburgh, N.C. State and Boston College.

Sunday the list got bigger.

Four-star tight end Mark Birmingham announced his commitment to Duke on Twitter in the afternoon.

Twitter Tweet

Birmingham is currently ranked No. 127 by ESPN, but like Bracey the Ashburn, Vir., native is one of the top players in the state of Virginia.

The 6-foot- 3, 233-pound tight end also had offers from traditional powers Florida State, Florida, Miami, Virginia Tech, Michigan and Penn State, among others.

Birmingham will likely get to play alongside another four-star tight end, Tyler Petite, who is part of the 18-man recruiting class of 2015 that is currently ranked No. 28 in the country by ESPN.

Petite turned down Southern California in July to give Duke its second ESPN 300 commit in the class at the time.

All-ACC tight end Braxton Deaver received a sixth year of eligibility Monday and will get to teach Petite, who will then likely form a formidable tight end duo with Birmingham that will give Cutcliffe and offensive coordinator Scottie Montgomery plenty of unique options.

The Blue Devils appear to be on their way to reeling in more than two such prospects in the Class of 2016, with three already committed after Birmingham's announcement.

No. 25 Duke is looking for its second straight ACC title game appearance but needs to win its final two games against North Carolina and Wake Forest to get back to Charlotte. If the Blue Devils finish the season strong, Birmingham's class should only keep growing in size and talent.

Keep up with The Blue Zone for the latest news in Duke football recruiting.

Share and discuss “Four-star tight end Mark Birmingham commits to Duke football, adds to stacked 2016 class” on social media.