Duke basketball 2014-15 player preview: Semi Ojeleye

Leading up to Duke basketball’s first game of the season Nov. 14 against Presbyterian, The Blue Zone will preview an expected contributor on this 2014-2015 squad each day, continuing today with small forward Semi Ojeleye.

Semi Ojeleye

• Year: Sophomore
  • Height: 6-foot-8
  • Position: Small forward

Game breakdown: Fans didn't get to see a large sample size of Ojeleye in 2013-14, as the freshman only saw 80 minutes of court action, overshadowed by touted newcomers Jabari Parker and Rodney Hood. Although both stars left Duke for the NBA, top-15 recruit Justise Winslow has stepped into the small forward slot, making it likely that Ojeleye will once again not see much time on the court. But the sophomore learned plenty about the college game from the bench last season, and will be The Ottawa, Kan., native was honored at this year’s Countdown to Craziness with his second consecutive “Iron Devil Award,” presented to the player who has shown the most dedication and performance in the weight room.

Lightning-fast and an explosive leaper with a 13-foot vertical, Ojeleye’s strength and athleticism make him both an offensive and defensive weapon. With Jahlil Okafor commanding attention in the post, head coach Mike Krzyzewski will be looking for efficient shooting from the outside, a skill that can earn Ojeleye a spot on the court with his 50 percent shooting clip from the field last season. If he makes the most of his initial minutes, Ojeleye could battle Winslow the wing; both players that bring both size and speed to the Blue Devils and will both contribute to Duke's ability to score.

Role on the team: With three freshmen likely to start in Winslow, Okafor and freshman Tyus Jones, Ojeleye will once again likely be relegated to a reserve role. But the sophomore will be ready to contribute at a moment's notice, as the Blue Devils' deep lineup will allow Krzyzewski to rotate players in and out with great frequency. Duke may look to play a more up-tempo style on both ends of the floor this year, including a more pressure-oriented full-court defense, which could play to the strengths of the athletic Ojeleye.

Ojeleye’s raw strength will help the Blue Devils on the glass, as his rebounding ability will be key to Duke’s defense as it look to improve on its 104th-ranked defense last year. His energy and athleticism off the bench could also provide the Blue Devils with much-needed momentum. A solid defender always willing to take a charge, Ojeleye is also a player that could come in handy from the foul line, sinking 10-of-11 attempts from the charity stripe last season.

Player comparison: A natural athlete with the ability to both step behind the 3-point line and sky above the rim, Ojeleye mirrors the skill-set of the Dallas Mavericks' Jae Crowder. Crowder was an important player for Buzz Williams after transferring to Marquette, where he averaged 14.6 points and 7.6 per game and shot 35 percent from beyond the arc. Ojeleye still has two years to develop in Krzyzewski's system and, with some more work on his fundamentals and mid-range shot, could flourish in the same way the aggressive, athletic Crowder did in Milwaukee.

Projected stats: 2.1 PPG, 2.3 RPG, 5.1 MPG

Players we've already previewed: Grayson Allen, Justise Winslow, Tyus Jones, Jahlil Okafor

Share and discuss “Duke basketball 2014-15 player preview: Semi Ojeleye” on social media.