Blue Devils will look to move forward after offseason losses

Duke freshman Azura Stevens will be one of the rookies Duke will call upon early and often this season.

Moving on is hard to do, but if the Blue Devils want to make another run at the ACC title, they will have to do just that this season.

A chapter of Duke women’s basketball came to an end last year, as the Blue Devils lost what could be considered their core group for the past four years. However, Duke is optimistic that this changing of the guard can help them improve further.

“You’re starting over this year,” Duke head coach Joanne P. McCallie said. “You don’t carry anything over from the year before. So it excites me but it also frustrates me, and it motivates me.”

One of the biggest losses the Blue Devils will feel this season is Chelsea Gray. The 5-foot-11 point guard was a mainstay of the Duke program, leading it to two ACC Tournament Championships, three ACC regular season titles and three appearances at the Elite Eight throughout her four years. Her notable court vision and shooting touch garnered national attention as she was named an All-American her sophomore and junior years. Averaging 10.8 points per game and 7.2 assists in her senior year before suffering a fractured kneecap, the California native will certainly be missed by the Blue Devils.

“[Gray] was such a household name,” McCallie said. “We only had her two years. She was such a special player.”

Another huge loss for Duke is Tricia Liston. The Illinois native carried most of the offensive load for the team last season, averaging 17.2 points per game. She was also a sharpshooter for the books, shooting 48.1 percent from beyond the arc and hitting a school record of 252 triples during her time in Durham.

Haley Peters was another casualty of graduation. The 6-foot-3 grinder could play the two, three and four positions and was the defensive backbone of the team. She averaged 7.6 rebounds per game last season, tied for the team high. She was also had a big impact on the offensive side of the ball, averaging 11.2 points per game in 2013-14.

But the departure that made the most noise this offseason was that of Alexis Jones. The Texas native was a rising star in the Duke program. The 5-foot-8 point guard took over the starting job freshman year after Gray went down with a dislocated kneecap and took off from there. Averaging 13.1 points per game and 5.3 assists last season, Jones was an impressive floor general. However in a game against Notre Dame last season, Jones tore her ACL. During the offseason, she decided that it would be best to move near home during her recovery, and transferred to Baylor.

Although there were considerable losses, Duke will bring back several players that can make an immediate impact, one of which is senior Ka’lia Johnson. After an onslaught of injuries to the Blue Devil backcourt, Johnson stepped up to fill the gap for the last five games of the season.

“To actually be in the ACC Championship… here was Ka’lia playing a bunch of minutes with no time to prepare for that role,” McCallie said. “It will either be Ka’lia’s team or by committee, depending on what shakes out.”

The Virginia native also had a good performance at the annual Blue-White Scrimmage, scoring 15 points and grabbing five boards, showing she still has yet to reach her full potential.

Another senior presence on the team that will need to step up is Amber Henson. The 6-foot-4 forward and center has shown sparks in the past and will look to leverage her experience into a contributing role for the Duke side.

“Amber’s doing great," McCallie said. “She’s had a long road, and she’s looking as good as she’s ever looked.”

Although she may be a new name for Blue Devil fans, another important returner will be Rebecca Greenwell. The Kentucky native redshirted last year after a knee injury. The 6-foot-1 guard is a natural shooter, averaging 27.5 points per game— and hitting 11-of-21 threes—during the two exhibition games this season against Livingstone and Armstrong State. Without a doubt, Greenwell will need to succeed on the offensive side of the ball if the Blue Devils hope to continue their tradition of excellence.

“Rebecca was right at the forefront [during our practices]… and probably is one of the most competitive players,” McCallie said. “She’s hardwired that way.”

A rare occurrence for the Blue Devils, junior Mercedes Riggs is entering the team as a transfer student. The Utah native transferred from Salt Lake Community College and looks to see minutes at point guard. The 5-foot-7 guard had a solid showing at the Blue-White Scrimmage, scoring 13 points.

The Blue Devils also are bringing in the consensus No. 1 recruiting class in the nation. Erin Mathias, ESPN’s 39th-ranked recruit, is looking to strengthen her game this season as she will work on producing at a consistent rate. She may not see big minutes, but the Pittsburgh native certainly has lots of potential.

“[Mathias] has great potential to make a difference,” McCallie said. “We need to get her perimeter game to be as consistent as it needs to be…she’s been playing the three for us during practice. And if she can be that forward three for us, it will create special opportunities for her.”

Lyneé Belton is a newcomer who will immediately make an impact on the block. The ESPN ninth ranked recruit out of Maryland has had a good first offseason, consistently giving returning senior Elizabeth Williams trouble during practices. She also was able to tab eight points and five rebounds in the game against Armstrong State.

Another highly-touted recruit is Azurá Stevens. The 6-foot-5 guard and forward has tremendous versatility, with the ability to play outside and on the block. The Raleigh, N.C., native scored 16 points in the Blue-White Scrimmage—shooting 50 percent from beyond the arc—and nabbed 11 points in the game versus Limestone.

The final recruit is ESPN’s 16th-ranked Sierra Calhoun. The 6-foot guard and forward combo is very athletic and can play well on both sides of the ball. In the two exhibitions played thus far, Calhoun is averaging 13 points and seven rebounds.

Although the Blue Devils have yet to face a Division I opponent, there is lots of optimism surrounding the team as it heads into the regular season.

“There are more unknowns but it's very exciting,” McCallie said. “It lets you create a little bit more. Nobody knows what’s going to happen.”

Share and discuss “Blue Devils will look to move forward after offseason losses” on social media.