Touted point guard Derryck Thornton, Jr. narrows list to 10

He wasn't at Countdown to Craziness, but one of Duke's top targets in the class of 2016 announced his top 10 Tuesday and still included the Blue Devils,

Point guard Derryck Thornton, Jr. announced his top 10 to Scout.com Tuesday afternoon. The 6-foot-2, 165-pound guard will decide between Duke, Kentucky, Michigan, Louisville, Arizona, California, Miami, Southern California, UNLV and N.C. State.

Thornton went on to say this about each school:

Duke: "Coach K is a legendary coach, it's a great education and it's a great national program."

Kentucky: "Coach Cal is a great coach. My ultimate goal is to get to the league and they do a great job helping players get there."

Michigan: "I love the staff - it's a great staff - and all the coaches there are super supportive. I love the style of play and coaching staff."

Louisville: "I have a good connection with some of the coaches there. I love the style of play and what coach (Rick) Pitino does with his point guards. I can see myself fitting into their system."

Arizona: "They're from the West Coast and that's always great. I've known the coaching staff for a long time; they've been on me as long as almost anyone on my list so that's been cool and they're close to home."

California: "I have a great relationship with coach Yanni Hufnagel and coach Cuonzo Martin. It's real close to home, it has a great education and it's a great school."

Southern California: "They're close to home and were the first school to offer me and that's always great. I love the style of play, it's a great school, a great conference - the Pac-12 is great - and it's really close to home."

Miami: "I love coach (Jim) Larranaga; he's a great, great dude and a great person to talk to. They have a really good staff, their location is great and it's in a really good conference."

UNLV: "It's a great school, it's close to home and on the West Coast. I live in Las Vegas now so I know a lot of people here and sometimes it's good to stay home."

N.C. State: "I'm just starting to build a good relationship with their coaches but they keep in contact a lot and I really like their coaching staff. They're in a great conference."

The talented point guard said he would continue to watch tape and try to determine at which program he fits in best at before making any more decisions. In the meantime, here’s Thornton mixtape.

Youtube Player

Keep up with the Blue Zone for all of the latest Duke recruiting news.

Share and discuss “Touted point guard Derryck Thornton, Jr. narrows list to 10” on social media.