Cook, Jefferson named captains for Duke basketball

After losing seniors Tyler Thornton and Josh Hairston to graduation and redshirt sophomore Rodney Hood to the NBA, Duke did not have a captain returning to the roster for the upcoming campaign.

The Blue Devils tapped senior Quinn Cook and junior Amile Jefferson to fill that void Tuesday through a team announcement.

"They're two veterans, returning starters. They know us, they know what we want to accomplish and their personalities just fit in so perfectly with the development of teamwork on our team. We're very excited about having them as captains," Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski said in a team release.

Cook, the team's floor general and lone senior, had an up-and-down junior campaign but finished last season on a personal high note, pouring in a season-high 23 points in Duke's NCAA tournament loss to Mercer. He has been looked to as a mentor for freshman point guard Tyus Jones, a role that will only increase with his new title of captain.

Jefferson enjoyed a breakout sophomore season thanks in part to bulking up in the offseason, averaging 6.5 points and 6.9 rebounds per contest for the Blue Devils. The Philadelphia native is coming off hip surgery this offseason and will have to work hard to get back to full strength, but should be a good complement to freshman center Jahlil Okafor in the paint for the Blue Devils.

Duke holds its first official practice of the season Friday.

Share and discuss “Cook, Jefferson named captains for Duke basketball” on social media.