Duke offers Battle, scouts top players at Peach Jam, UAA Finals

With all three major AAU tournaments continuing to heat up, Duke's coaching staff has logged some serious miles and extended an offer to one of the top guards in the class of 2016.

Before we break down yesterday’s action, let's start with the biggest news of the day—Duke has offered the 2016 5-star combo guard Tyus Battle. Battle hails from Edison, N.J. and is currently ranked No. 19 on ESPN’s Top 100. We will have more on Battle in the coming days.

Switching back to AAU basketball, in North Augusta, S.C. at the Peach Jam, Duke had their eyes on a number of top talents.

During the first session of the day, Duke 2016 target Harry Giles was on display again. After his dominant performance Wednesday night, Giles was less effective Thursday morning. He was held to 14 points and nine rebounds as Team CP3 lost 81-48 to Playaz Basketball Club.

During the night session, Giles played in one of the most highly anticipated game of the tournament, as his team faced 2015 No. 2 prospect Ben Simmons and Each 1 Teach 1. And Simmons showed why he was such a sought after prospect.

The Australian forward put on an absolute show for the packed gym, as he dropped 21 points and seven assists. By the end of the night, there was little doubt in anybody's mind—Ben Simmons is the top player in 2015 and LSU has a future star in this commit.

Twitter Tweet

On the 2015 front, the Duke coaching staff focused mainly on two targets: Ivan Rabb and Caleb Swanigan. The staff spilt itself to watch the separate games as assistant coach Jon Scheyer focused on Rabb, associate head coach Jeff Capel on Swanigan and head coach Mike Krzyzewski alternated between the two.

Unfortunately for Rabb and his Oakland Soldiers, they lost both of Thursday's games despite solid efforts from the Oakland native. After a foul-heavy first game of just 12 points and 10 rebounds, Rabb exploded for 24 points, 10 boards and a pair of blocks in the ten-point loss to Mac Irvin Fire.

Swanigan's Spiece Indy Heat spilt their two games, including a heart-breaking double overtime loss in the night session. Swanigan averaged 22 points and 13 rebounds for the two games and was able to display the range and versatility that have coaches interested. No series of plays exemplify this versatility than the final few series of the game versus Team Scan.

Late in the game down by one, Swanigan beat his man off the bounce and finished a beautiful reverse layup. Two series later, as the clock was running down, Swanigan pulled up and drained a fadeway three as time expired to send the game into overtime.

Switching gears and heading to the Under Armor Association Finals in Atlanta, Ga., Duke had its eye on another pair of 2015 stars: Diamond Stone and Jaylen Brown.

The big man was his dominate self on Thursday, as Stone finished with 26 points, 18 rebounds, six blocks and four assists. Stone also had the play of the day at the UAA Finals with this thunderous dunk:

Youtube Player

Perhaps more of note for Duke fans was Stone’s comment about the possible package of himself and Malik Newman. Newman has consistently mentioned making his announcement in the spring but yesterday, Stone made it clear he has a date in mind:

Twitter Tweet

With Newman's state school Mississippi State making a strong push recently and this news, it is possible the package deal wont happen after all. This very fluid situation is something we will continue to follow closely.

Also at the UAA Finals was recent Duke target Jaylen Brown. Brown—the No. 8 prospect on ESPN's Top 100—was unstoppable Thursday as he faced off against a top 2016 prospect Josh Jackson. Brown’s first half was particularly impressive as he scored 20 points and hit four 3-pointers. Brown also discussed his recruitment and friendship with current Blue Devils Justise Winslow and Tyus Jones and 2015 Duke commit Luke Kennard after the game with 24/7 reporter Andrew Slater.

Finally, Luke Kennard, Thon Maker and Chase Jeter were all on display for the coaching staff to watch at the NY2LA Summer Jam in Milwaukee, Wis. Jeter is seemingly waiting until after the tryouts for 17U Team USA later this month to announce or trim down his list of schools.

Share and discuss “Duke offers Battle, scouts top players at Peach Jam, UAA Finals” on social media.