Duke basketball 2013-14 player review: Amile Jefferson

With Duke's season in the books, The Blue Zone will review the seasons of all the Blue Devils, beginning with the freshman Monday and ending with the seniors and graduate students Friday.

Amile Jefferson

Season breakdown: Leading into the 2013-14 season, there were many questions surrounding who would replace Mason Plumlee at center for the Blue Devils. Would it be team captain Josh Hairston? Was Marshall Plumlee ready to step up? Or was the now stronger Amile Jefferson ready for the battles in the paint? Head coach Mike Krzyzewski was quick to name Jefferson a starter, but In the beginning of the season, it appeared that the coaching staff did not trust Jefferson as the sole answer to that question, as he played 20-plus minutes just once in the first 10 games of the season. However, the sophomore then came into his own in the remainder of the year, as he played less than 20 minutes only twice the rest of the season.

Jefferson showcased his tenacity and grit on the glass on multiple occasions, posting eight double-digit rebound games. Often playing undersized against larger ACC foes, the Philadelphia native relied upon his quickness to battle for position in the paint and extend possessions on the offensive end. In the win at Pittsburgh, Jefferson tallied 14 points and 10 boards on the night. In the first meeting against Virginia, the forward went for 10 points and 15 rebounds. Jefferson’s ability to play efficiently and produce in games on big-stages should earn him minutes in the seasons going forward.

Results relative to expectations: The sophomore’s rebound totals exceeded the expectations for the year, but the rest of his numbers fell below our predictions. Despite shooting 64.4 perfect from the field, Jefferson was often reluctant to face the basket and attack the rim. With the potential departure of scoring machines in Rodney Hood and Jabari Parker, Jefferson will likely need to be more aggressive on the offensive end next season.

Jefferson’s length occasionally posed issues for ball handlers and opposing teams, though he was not a force on the defensive end. If he is going to stay on the court in favor of center Marshall Plumlee and incoming center Jahlil Okafor, Jefferson’s 6-foot-9 frame will need to contribute more than just 0.7 SPG and 0.6 BPG. Look for a rather inconsistent substitution pattern at times next year for Jefferson, as the coaching staff will look to mix and match the playing styles of the three bigs.

In case you've missed it, we've already reviewed: Alex Murphy, Matt Jones, Semi Ojeleye, Jabari Parker

Share and discuss “Duke basketball 2013-14 player review: Amile Jefferson” on social media.