The key three: Duke basketball vs. UCLA

Coming off a 19-point victory over Gardner-Webb Monday night, the Blue Devils head north to take on the UCLA Bruins in the CARQUEST Auto Parts Classic. Tip-off is at 7:30 p.m. at Madison Square Garden. Here are the keys to tonight’s game:

Make Other Players Beat Them

Two weeks ago, Duke shut down Michigan’s most dangerous offensive weapons in guard Nick Stauskas and forward Glenn Robinson III, holding Stauskas to four points and Robinson to eight. Defensive specialists Tyler Thornton and Matt Jones denied Stauskas from catching the ball and getting his shots off, ultimately disrupting the flow of Michigan’s offense and forcing Caris LeVert to increase his offensive production. Thornton and Jones will again be asked to limit the opposing team’s top player, Jordan Adams. If successful, Duke will force players not used to carrying the offensive load to beat them.

Don’t Rely on Parker and Hood

While Duke is centered around Jabari Parker and Rodney Hood, it is imperative that the pair of wings is not relied upon too heavily. Against Michigan, Parker and Hood accounted for only 37 percent of the team’s scoring, far less than in big games earlier in the season. Then, some players fell into the trap of being too passive and simply watching Parker and Hood do all the scoring. Now, more players are looking for their shot and being aggressive. Quinn Cook has developed into a serious offensive threat and Andre Dawkins has become a reliable scorer off the bench. With a more balanced attack, Duke is not as vulnerable to a cold shooting night from Parker or Hood.

Play 40 Minutes of Strong Defense

Against Gardner-Webb on Monday, Duke’s defense was lacking at times, especially early in the first half. Against UCLA, however, Duke will have to play 40 minutes of strong defense in order to pull off the victory. The Bruins rank third in the nation at 89.1 points per game and second in shooting percentage at 54.3 percent. The Blue Devils must be active and play with a lot of energy, but must also slow down UCLA, as the Bruins excel in transition.

Share and discuss “The key three: Duke basketball vs. UCLA” on social media.