X factor: Duke basketball vs. Vermont

The Blue Devils take on the Catamounts of Vermont at 6:30 p.m. at Cameron Indoor Stadium. Before every basketball game, we’ll break down a player on each team who could be the difference-maker in the upcoming contest.

Duke: guard Rasheed Sulaimon

Sulaimon has arguably been Duke’s most disappointing player of the season thus far. In adjusting to playing with Jabari Parker and Rodney Hood, Sulaimon hasn’t been able to get into an offensive rhythm and has at times forced bad shots in the lane. In Duke’s last three games, the sophomore guard has averaged just 4.3 points. He must use this game as an opportunity to find his offensive touch and head into the Preseason NIT and the Michigan game with momentum. While he has struggled offensively since the Kansas game, Sulaimon has rebounded well from the wing, tied third on the team at 3.6 boards per game.

Vermont: forward Brian Voelkel

Voelkel, named Preseason All-America East Conference First-Team for the third time, ranked second in rebounding in the conference in 2012-13, after which he ranked 12th on America East’s all-time rebound list. Despite standing at just 6-foot-6, the senior forward is a do-it-all hustle player that uses his physical play and athleticism to lead the Caramounts defensively. He has averaged 10.2 rebounds in Vermont’s first five games, but only 5.4 points per game. In order to have a chance against the Blue Devils, Voelkel’s team needs him to produce more offensively.

Share and discuss “X factor: Duke basketball vs. Vermont” on social media.