Stat Chat: Two Headed Monster

So often in this column we break down statistical anomalies that directly impact Duke's chances of winning or losing as a team. Today, we delve into individual players—namely Jabari Parker and Rodney Hood. The first year duo has combined to average an eye-popping 44.8 points per game this season, while also ranking in the top three on the team in rebounds, assists, steals and blocks. What the two have accomplished thus far in this young season is quite impressive, which is why I'm going to make the case that this may be the most dynamic scoring duo in the Mike Krzyzewski era.

Let's first break down some of the best individual scoring seasons players have had under Coach K at Duke. There have been 17 Blue Devils to average at least 20 points per game over the course of a season 29 times in school history. Seven players have combined for nine seasons averaging at least 20 points per game since the 1980-81 season. Five of those seven players—Johnny Dawkins, Danny Ferry, Christian Laettner, Jason Williams and JJ Redick—have their jerseys hanging in the rafters. Williams (21.6/21.3) and Redick (21.8/26.8) averaged more than 20 points per game twice in their careers. All of these players were in their junior or senior year of college in all but one those seasons, with Jason Williams' sophomore season acting as the lone exception.

But how many times have two teammates averaged 20 points per game in the same season in Duke history? Over the course of 108 years of Duke men's basketball, this has happened only three times. The early 1960's brought two Blue Devil legends, Art Heyman and Jeff Mullins, together. Both averaged 20 points per game three times over the course of their careers, doing it at the same time during the 1961-62 and 1962-63 seasons. Incredibly, Heyman and Mullins never averaged less than 20 points per game in their tenure at Duke. Jim Spanarkel and Mike Gminski accomplished the feat during the 1977-78 season. Not only were the individual numbers impressive, but they translated to success in the win column as well. Heyman and Mullins made it to the Final Four in 1963, winning the third place game against Oregon State. Spanarkel and Gminski made it to the national championship game before dropping the final to Kentucky.

When you look at the Duke teams that have had, say, five players average double digits versus having a few alpha dogs, the numbers are good; really good. There have been eight seasons where this has been the case, resulting in six NCAA tournaments and three national championships. However, don't be fooled by these statistics alone. The 1991 and 1992 championship teams had Laettner average 19.8 and 21.5 points per game respectively. The 2001 championship squad nearly had the fourth 20 points per game duo in Duke history with Jason Williams (21.6) and Shane Battier (19.9). Playing as a team and receiving quality play from role players is important, but the leadership of a lethal scorer can make all of the difference in big games.

Bringing the topic of conversation back to Duke's current dynamic duo, there's no question this team is capable of making a run at a title. Perhaps the biggest reason is that Parker and Hood would be the first pair in school history to average 20 points per game or more in their first season with Duke. With players like Quinn Cook, Rasheed Sulaimon, Andre Dawkins and Amile Jefferson, don't be shocked if three more players average double digit points by the end of the year.

Parker and Hood are expected to leave for the NBA soon, so it's unlikely either will end up with their jerseys hanging from the rafters of Cameron Indoor Stadium. However, they're on pace for a special season, one that may end up with a few banners in due time.

Share and discuss “Stat Chat: Two Headed Monster” on social media.