Miami basketball 2013-14 season preview

Rion Brown is the lone returning player who played significant minutes for the Hurricanes last year.

Overall record: 29-7, 15-3 in the ACC

Head coach: Jim Larranaga

Tenure at Miami: Third season

Career coaching record: 519–354

Home court: BankUnited Center

Starters: C Tonye Jekiri, F Donnavan Kirk, G Garrius Adams, G Rion Brown, G Manu Lecomte

Bench: G Davon Reed, F Erik Swoope

Overview: After giving the Blue Devils a 90-63 whipping in Coral Gables, Fla last season, the Hurricanes will host Duke again Jan. 22. Four starters from last year’s squad were lost, including 2012-2013 ACC Player of the Year Shane Larkin, who the Dallas Mavericks selected with the 18th overall pick in the NBA Draft.

Sharpshooter Rion Brown returns for the Hurricanes after averaging 6.4 points per game last season. In this year’s exhibition game, however, Brown scored 20 points, shooting 6-of-7 from behind the arc. Guard Garrius Adams, who played in 19 games in the 2011-2012 campaign, is back after redshirting last season, and looks to complement Brown in the backcourt. When opposing teams begin to focus on Brown and Adams, the duo will look to get the ball to four-star recruit and Miami native, Deandre Burnett. A guard, Burnett scored 16 points in just 22 minutes in the Hurricanes’ Oct. 30 exhibition game against Florida Tech.

One player who could make be a difference-maker on this year’s squad is Donnavan Kirk. A graduate student who spent two seasons in Coral Gables, Kirk is back after playing two seasons at DePaul. The lanky forward was one rebound away from a double-double against Florida Tech and gives Miami an aggressive presence in the paint on both ends of the floor.

One thing that needs to go right: The Hurricanes' talented, but inexperienced, freshman quickly assume greater roles on the team.

One thing that could go wrong: After a weak non-conference schedule, Miami proves unable to handle the high-level of talent in the ACC.

Share and discuss “Miami basketball 2013-14 season preview” on social media.