Eastern Michigan basketball 2013-14 season preview

Overall record: 16-18, 7-9 in the MAC

Head coach: Rob Murphy

Tenure at Eastern Michigan: Third season

Career coaching record: 30-36

Home court: Convocation Center

Starters: C Da'Shonte Riley, F Glenn Bryant, F Daylen Harrison, G Jalen Ross, G J.R. Sims

Overview: Rob Murphy’s squad uses its length on the defensive end to wreak havoc on the opposition. The Eagles’ 2-3 zone limited teams to only 59.1 points per game last season, much of that due to 7-foot Syracuse transfer Da'Shonte Riley. Riley averaged 2.0 blocks per game a year ago, and his size forced teams to stay on the perimeter. As a result, Eastern Michigan opponents averaged a mere 29.9 percent from 3-point range last season.

The Eagles expect to start four seniors this season, including 6-foot-8 forward Glenn Bryant. Bryant, who averaged 10.6 points per game last year, will be the team's go-to scorer this season. Eastern Michigan’s offense struggled mightily last year, as it averaged just 56.6 points per game. If the team improves upon last year’s offensive totals, look for Bryant to be the main reason why.

One thing that needs to go right: Eastern Michigan finds a way to score the basketball.

One thing that could go wrong: The team continues to rank near the bottom of the country in points per game, assists per game and field goal percentage without an influx of new weapons on offense.

Share and discuss “Eastern Michigan basketball 2013-14 season preview” on social media.