Alabama basketball 2013-14 season preview

Overall record: 23-13, 12-7 in the SEC

Head coach: Anthony Grant

Tenure at Alabama: Fourth season

Career coaching record: 139-64

Home court: Coleman Coliseum

Starters: F Nick Jacobs, G Retin Obasohan, G Levi Randolph, G Rodney Cooper, G Trevor Releford

Overview: Returning three starters, including leading scorer and preseason All-SEC selection Trevor Releford, Alabama enters the 2013-14 campaign looking to improve upon its conference finish last year when it finished tied for second with Kentucky and Ole Miss. But the Crimson Tide will have to overcome a number of challenges to get there after starters Trevor Lacey and Moussa Gueye transferred in the offseason and Devonta Pollard was dismissed from the team when he was charged with conspiracy to commit kidnapping. Alabama will enter the season with just nine scholarship players on the roster, making it difficult for the team to improve upon from its subpar offensive performance last year, when the Crimson Tide averaged just 63.0 points per contest. On the opposite end of the floor, Alabama was 17th in the nation in points allowed last season.

One of the most notable characteristics of this year's Alabama squad may be its wealth of international talent. Anthony Grant’s roster includes junior center Carl Engstorm from Sweden as well as sophomore forward Michael Kessens from Switzerland and redshirt sophomore guard Retin Obasohan from Belgium.

One thing that needs to go right: Alabama's young and inexperienced lineup steps up and adds some offensive firepower.

One thing that could go wrong: With the loss of Lacey, who led the Crimson Tide in rebounds and blocks, Alabama finds itself with a hole in its once-vaunted defense.

Share and discuss “Alabama basketball 2013-14 season preview” on social media.