Duke basketball 2013-14 player preview: Jabari Parker

Leading up to Duke basketball’s first game of the season Nov. 8 against Davidson, The Blue Zone will preview all the expected contributors on this 2013-2014 squad, beginning with the freshmen Monday and ending with the seniors and grad students Friday.

Generic Script

Jabari Parker
  • Year: Freshman
  • Height: 6-foot-8
  • Position: Forward
  • Last year's key statistics: N/A
Game breakdown: Simply, this kid can do it all. Touted on the cover of Sports Illustrated as the greatest high school basketball player since LeBron James, Parker begins his collegiate career at Duke with nothing short of the highest expectations—and he has the game to match. His versatility at 6-foot-8 and 235 pounds is astounding. Parker is an adept ball-handler, can create off of the dribble, knock it down from long range and post you up. Parker will also tell you that he is in the best shape of his life, and his conditioning continues to improve after a foot injury left him sidelined for a good portion of his final season of high school basketball.

His skills transcend the offensive end, Parker filled up the statsheet in Duke's first exhibition contest against Bowie State, piling up five assists, four rebounds, four steals and three blocks to go along with his 16 points. On a team without a true center, Parker's ability to rebound and block shots could be his greatest asset this season.

But what should really get Duke fans excited about Parker is that he is a proven winner. Playing in the high school basketball Mecca of Chicago, Parker led his Simeon Career Academy squad to an unprecedented four state championships in his four-year career—Parker finished with a career record of 118-15. That type of pedigree is something that has the Blue Devils hoping he can help them hang a fifth banners in the rafters of Cameron Indoor Stadium this season.

Role on the team: There is very little question that Parker will be a starter for Duke's season-opener against Davidson Nov. 8. The freshman forward will play a crucial role for the Blue Devils this season, combining with redshirt sophomore Rodney Hood and sophomore Amile Jefferson to form what could be one of the most versatile and athletic frontcourts in the nation. The combination of Parker's physical attributes and skill set makes him the most versatile of the three, so expect to see him in a variety of different roles depending on opposing matchups, especially on the defensive end.

NBA comparison: Although Parker did receive a comparison to James on his Sports Illustrated cover, his closest NBA comparison is Carmelo Anthony of the New York Knicks. Just like Melo, Parker possesses an innate scoring ability but does not need to overpower you at the rim to be effective. The touch on his jumper, especially in the midrange, will be one of his biggest weapons this season. Parker's ability to create off the dribble, play with his back to the basket and work effectively in the pick and roll game definitely exudes shades of Anthony—who by the way, led Syracuse to a national championship when he was a freshman.

Projected stat line: 18.0 PPG, 8.0 RPG, 3.0 APG, 1.5 SPG

Check back later today for the preview of Matt Jones.

Share and discuss “Duke basketball 2013-14 player preview: Jabari Parker” on social media.