Duke basketball 2013-14 player preview: Amile Jefferson

Leading up to Duke basketball’s first game of the season Nov. 8 against Davidson, The Blue Zone will preview all the expected contributors on this 2013-2014 squad, beginning with the freshmen Monday and ending with the seniors and grad students Friday.

Amile Jefferson

Generic Script

• Year: Sophomore
  • Height: 6-foot-9
  • Position: Forward
  • Last year's key statistics: 4.0 PPG, 2.9 RPG, 54.3 FG%, 0.5 BPG, 0.4 SPG

Game breakdown: Standing at 6-foot-9 with a 7-foot-plus wingspan, Jefferson brings Duke size that it desperately needs. Jefferson does a great job of using his length on both the offensive and defensive ends. On defense, he uses his full wingspan to take up space in the key, cover the vision of ball handlers and get deflections in the passing lanes. On offense, the Philadelphia native keeps his hands active and ready for passes as he flashes throughout the lane and along the baseline. Jefferson’s ability to move behind the defense and into open space is a reason why he is so successful in Duke’s press break.

Though he stands at 6-foot-9, Jefferson holds the speed to defend wings on the perimeter. His quickness allows him to switch easily on pick-and-roll situations, and also gives head coach Mike Krzyzewski the option of playing him at any frontcourt position. Though he sometimes struggled with battling physical players for rebounds last season, Jefferson should not have this issue in the coming year. Over the offseason he added significant muscle to his frame, and even from Duke’s first preseason game it is evident that Jefferson can be much more successful in the paint.

Though Jefferson is a versatile defensive player, his offensive game has weaknesses. Jefferson shows great skill in finishing in traffic in the lane. His shots outside of the paint, however, are not as consistent. If he develops his jump shot, he will cause opposing defenses trouble all game long.

Role on the team: Last year when Duke was healthy Jefferson was inserted into the lineup only to give starting forwards Mason Plumlee and Ryan Kelly a breather. This year Jefferson will be a starting big alongside freshman Jabari Parker and redshirt sophomore Rodney Hood. As was evident in Duke’s first preseason game, Jefferson will hold the responsibility of running the baseline on offense. His ability to finish acrobatically in the lane will help him to earn minutes over the only true center on the roster, Marshall Plumlee.

Without a center in the starting lineup, Jefferson will share the major rebounding duties with Parker. The weight that Jefferson put on in the offseason will help him to battle for rebounds with the physical players around the ACC. If Duke is to improve upon their poor rebounding margin from last year, Jefferson's play will be huge. However, if Jefferson is unable to have his presence felt on boards, then look for Marshall Plumlee and senior Josh Hairston to steal some of his minutes.

Player comparison: If Jefferson continues to add to his offensive game during his time at Duke, he may develop a game similar to that of Thaddeus Young of the Philadelphia 76ers. Young is a 6-foot-8 forward who has the ability to bang down low with the power forwards, as well as step outside to cover small forwards on the perimeter. Where Young and Jefferson differ however is Young's ability to size up his defender and shoot a consistent midrange jumper. He can also put the ball on the floor and drive past his defender to the rim. Jefferson needs to work on his jump shot and handles, but an offensive game akin to that of Young's could be on the horizon.

Projected stat line: 8.2 PPG, 5.7 RPG, 1.2 SPG, 1.3 BPG

Check back later today for a preview of Marshall Plumlee.

Players we've already previewed: Jabari Parker, Matt Jones, Semi Ojeleye, Rasheed Sulaimon

Share and discuss “Duke basketball 2013-14 player preview: Amile Jefferson” on social media.