Tricia Liston captures gold at World University Games

Duke senior Tricia Liston became the second Blue Devil to capture a gold medal this summer when the United States defeated Russia 90-71 Monday to take gold at the World University Games in Kazan, Russia.

Generic Script

Liston, a 6-foot-1 guard from Lake Forest, Ill., averaged 8.2 points and 3.0 rebounds per game and shot 42.9 percent from 3-point range in the tournament's six games. As a junior, Liston ranked third in the country in long-range shooting.

She saw just six minutes of action in the gold medal game, but scored two points and grabbed three rebounds. This was Liston's first-ever experience with USA Basketball.

“It is awesome,” Liston said in a press release. “There are no words really to describe it, especially having my parents here with me. To meet all these girls, being able to put a team together so fast and do something so special and represent our country; it is an awesome feeling to have.”

A large chunk of Liston's minutes came at the beginning of the tournament, when the United States won blowouts in each of their three games of pool play. Liston notched 14 points and added six rebounds in her team's second victory, a 101-61 drubbing of the Czech Republic.

The only game that was decided by single digits for the Americans was a 79-78 victory against Australia in the semifinals. The United States blew a 17-point lead in the game's final seven minutes but were able to hold on. Overall, the U.S. won each of their six games by an average margin of 34.8 points.

Liston returns to Durham, where she will now focus on her senior season. The Blue Devils return all five starters from last season's team, which fell in the Elite Eight of the NCAA Tournament. Duke's full schedule has yet to be announced, but the Blue Devils will play marquee non-conference games against Final Four team California and defending national champion Connecticut.

Rasheed Sulaimon, a guard for the men's basketball program, was the first Blue Devil to win a gold medal in international play when the United States took gold in the FIBA U19 World Championship last week. Sophomore point guard Alexis Jones will have a chance to make Duke 3-for-3 with gold medalists this summer when she competes for the United States in the women's FIBA U19 World Championship, which begins Thursday in Lithuania.

Share and discuss “Tricia Liston captures gold at World University Games” on social media.