Duke in the NBA: Orlando Summer League recap

After six days of action, the Orlando Summer League has drawn to a close and the Oklahoma City Thunder have been crowned as the league's first ever champions. Here's a look at how former Blue Devils performed in summer league action:

Generic Script

Recent first-round selection Mason Plumlee played his first games as a member of the Brooklyn Nets, and the 22nd overall pick in this year's draft did not disappoint for new head coach Jason Kidd. Plumlee was the Nets' second-leading scorer during their five-game summer league schedule, averaging 13.2 points and pulling down 7.0 rebounds per contest. He showcased his athleticism on numerous occasions, throwing down some high-flying dunks and putting his strength on display in the post. Plumlee also shot 68.8 percent from the free throw line, which is consistent with his performance during his senior season at Duke. Plumlee's best summer league performance came in Brooklyn's second game against the Miami Heat, when Plumlee scored 23 points on a perfect 8-of-8 from the field and pulled down nine rebounds. Plumlee's play did not earn him a spot on the All-Summer League team, but he did receive an honorable mention.

Although Plumlee was able to find the bottom of the bucket often, he did shoot just 45.8 percent from the floor in five games and had some difficulties on the defensive end. His Nets team also struggled, going 0-5 in summer league play. Grantland's Brett Koremenos was on hand in Orlando and said that although Plumlee showed some promise, he is still a work in progress. Here's an excerpt from his take on Plumlee:

There weren't too many bright spots for a Nets squad that was utterly dismal this week, but at least the team's first-round pick, Mason Plumlee, showed some promise on the offensive end. Plumlee has proved to be a solid finisher off pick-and-roll dives and drop-off passes against this better competition, but he’s left some lingering doubts about his ability to score in the post or isolation at the professional level. Plumlee has found the most success when he's been able to overpower opponents with pure strength, rather than guile and technique. The problem is that, for the most part, the players he's faced this week aren't nearly as physically mature as NBA regulars.

Generic Script

Mason's older brother, Miles Plumlee, was also among the top big men in this year's Orlando Summer League. Miles got off to a hot start in the Indiana Pacers' first summer league contest, scoring 16 points, grabbing 15 boards and adding four blocks when matched up against Detroit Pistons center Andre Drummond. Plumlee played in the Pacers' first four contests before sitting out their last game with a sprained right ankle, averaging 10.0 points, 9.5 rebounds and 3.0 blocks per contest. His play earned him All-Summer League Second Team honors.

Just like his younger brother, Plumlee threw down a few highlight-reel jams of his own. But where the elder Plumlee made the biggest impact this week was on the glass—his ability to physically overpower opponents was what stood out. Plumlee only saw the floor in a few games during his rookie season in the NBA, but a strong performance in the Orlando Summer League could help him pick up some more minutes next year.

As two of the most athletic big men in the 10-team league, a Miles vs. Mason matchup at the Orlando Summer League would have been a spectacle, but Brooklyn and Indiana were never scheduled to square off.

Nolan Smith's summer league run with the Boston Celtics lasted all of five minutes. Smith suffered a minor tear in his calf in the first quarter of Boston's opening game, logging four points and a steal before leaving the game with the injury. He is expected to still receive an invitation to training camp with the Celtics and new head coach Brad Stevens.

The Detroit Pistons listed Kyle Singler on their roster, but appears his role was only moral support. The 2012-13 All-Rookie selection did not suit up in a single summer league game, but was there to cheer on his younger brother, E.J., an Oregon grad who suited up in all five games for the Pistons, averaging 1.6 points per contest. E.J. even wore Kyle's No. 25, which caused the announcers on NBATV to confuse them on a number of occasions.

Share and discuss “Duke in the NBA: Orlando Summer League recap” on social media.