Duke in the NBA: Las Vegas Summer League preview

Mason and Miles Plumlee will each play their final games of the Orlando Summer League Friday, but just in case your summer basketball fix isn't satisfied yet, the Las Vegas Summer League is set to begin Friday, featuring 22 teams and 11 days of action.

Here's a look at the four Duke alums who will represent three different teams in this year's Las Vegas Summer League:

Generic Script

After struggling through his rookie season, Austin Rivers looks to get his second year in the NBA off on the right foot, playing with the new look New Orleans Pelicans. Rivers appeared in two Summer League games for New Orleans last season, averaging 10.0 points per contest. He appeared in 61 games during his rookie season, averaging 6.2 points per game and shooting just 37.2 percent from the floor.

Generic Script

Rivers will suit up alongside former Blue Devil Lance Thomas for the Pelicans. Thomas went undrafted in 2010 and was able to play his way into the NBA after spending more than a year in the NBA Developmental League. Thomas has spent the last two seasons with New Orleans, making nine starts during the 2012-13 season. This will be Thomas' second stint in the Las Vegas Summer League. He averaged 14.0 points and 7.2 rebounds in five Summer League contests with New Orleans last season.

Thomas will definitely have something to play for  in Las Vegas. He was waived by the Pelicans Monday, which means he will become a free agent at the conclusion of Summer League. For Thomas, Summer League will be a tryout for other potential NBA suitors. According to reports from The Advocate in Baton Rouge, La., Thomas had yet to rejoin the Pelicans by 11 a.m. Thursday. Although indications were that Thomas would still suit up for New Orleans this week, playing for the team that just waived him is undeniably an awkward situation. It will be interesting to see how this one plays out—participating in Summer League is likely Thomas' best bet for getting invited to an NBA training camp.

Generic Script

Olek Czyz played just two years at Duke before transferring and playing out his remaining eligibility at Nevada. But after a year playing in Italy for the runner-up in Serie A basketball, Czyz will play for the Portland Trail Blazers in the Las Vegas Summer League. The Polish forward played for the Chicago Bulls in last year's Summer League, averaging 4.6 points per game. Czyz will line up alongside rookies C.J. McCollum and Allen Crabbe for Portland.

If you don't recall Czyz's short career in Durham, you may remember him impersonating Russell Crowe from Gladiator in this Youtube video.

Although he will not play in this year's Summer League, Ryan Kelly is listed on the Los Angeles Lakers' roster. The recent Duke grad was selected by the Lakers in the second round of the 2013 NBA draft, with the 48th overall selection. Although Kelly has been cleared to play following a 12-week rehabilitation from foot surgery last spring, the Lakers are in no rush to get him back out on the court.

Share and discuss “Duke in the NBA: Las Vegas Summer League preview” on social media.