Duke to host 2014 quarterback Nico Pierre

Duke head coach David Cutcliffe secured a commitment from one quarterback in the Class of 2014 when Graham, N.C. quarterback Johnathan Lloyd chose to play football and baseball at Duke in early June instead of accepting a football-only offer at Notre Dame, Ohio State, South Carolina or Clemson.

Cutcliffe will have a chance to add a second highly-touted quarterback when Duke hosts Nico Pierre for a visit July 23, per Pierre's Twitter account.

Pierre, the signal-caller at Coral Reef High School in Miami, is rated a four-star prospect by ESPN, and is No. 256 in the ESPN 300 for the Class of 2014. A 6-foot-2, 203-pound dual-treat quarterback, Pierre was clocked in the 40-yard dash at 4.82 seconds at the Miami Nike SPARQ Combine.

Youtube Player

He holds a number of scholarship offers from top programs, including Georgia, Kansas State, Louisville, Nebraska and Wisconsin. The Blue Devils and Badgers appear to be the two leaders when it comes to Pierre's recruitment, but Wisconsin recently received a verbal commitment from another four-star dual-threat quarterback, D.J. Gillins, which could put a dent in their courtship with Pierre.

Duke has already amassed 11 verbal commitments for their Class of 2014, which is close to the amount of scholarships the program will have available for that year. Adding a talent like Pierre to cap off their class would be a big pickup for the Blue Devils.

Share and discuss “Duke to host 2014 quarterback Nico Pierre” on social media.