Alexis Jones wins gold medal at U19 World Championship

Duke sophomore Alexis Jones won a gold medal with the United States at the women's FIBA U19 World Championship in Klaipeda, Lithuania. The Americans defeated France 61-28 in the gold medal game Sunday, capping off a perfect 9-0 tournament.

Generic Script

Jones scored nine points and added four rebounds, three assists and three steals in the tournament's championship game. She was one of the defensive catalysts for the U.S. in the gold medal game, when the Americans held France to just eight points in the second half.

The point guard averaged 10.0 points, 4.3 assists, 3.2 rebounds and 1.7 steals per contest, starting every game for the United States. Jones ranked tied for fourth among all teams in assists per game.

“It feels real good,” Jones described her gold-medal performance in a press release.  “I am excited, we worked hard for it.”

This is Jones' third gold medal of her international career. She previously won gold medals with the U19 team at the 2011 FIBA World Championship and the U18 team at the 2010 FIBA Americas Championship.

Jones is also the third Duke player to win a gold medal in international competition this summer. Rasheed Sulaimon, who plays shooting guard for the men's basketball team, won a gold medal with the United States at the FIBA U19 World Championship in Prague, Czech Republic. Jones' Blue Devil teammate, Tricia Liston, captured gold for the U.S. at the World University Games in Kazan, Russia.

Share and discuss “Alexis Jones wins gold medal at U19 World Championship” on social media.