Alexis Jones leads USA U19 team into quarterfinals

Sophomore point guard Alexis Jones will take the court for the United States in the quarterfinal round of the women's FIBA U19 World Championship in Lithuania. Jones will hope to join sophomore Rasheed Sulaimon and senior Tricia Liston, who each won gold medals earlier this summer at the men's FIBA U19 World Championship and World University Games, respectively.

Generic Script

The United States will take on Japan Friday at 8:15 p.m. in the quarterfinal round.

Jones has started the Americans' first six games of the tournament. She is the team's fourth-leading scorer at 11.3 points per game, dishing out 4.5 assists and pulling down 3.7 boards per contest as well. The U.S. has played just one single-digit game at the U19 World Championship, winning their six contests by an average of 48.3 points.

This is Jones' third tournament with USA Basketball. She won gold medals with the United States in 2011 at the FIBA U19 World Championship in Chile, where she teamed up with Duke center Elizabeth Williams, and in 2010 at the FIBA Americas U18 Championship in Colorado Springs, Colo.

Jones was named Freshman All-America during her first collegiate season. After taking over the starting point guard role for an injured Chelsea Gray, Jones averaged 13.8 points, 6.1 rebounds, 5.4 assists and 1.3 steals per game in Duke's final 11 games and earned MVP honors at the ACC Tournament.

With a win against Japan, the United States will advance to the semifinals against the winner of Australia and China.

Share and discuss “Alexis Jones leads USA U19 team into quarterfinals” on social media.