2013 Nike Global Challenge: Day 3

Welcome back to The Chronicle’s coverage of the 2013 Nike Global challenge. We’ll have live updates from you throughout the three-day tournament at Trinity Washington University in Washington D.C. Follow along with @dukebasketball on Twitter as well.

In case you missed our coverage of the tournament, check out our video recaps with highlights and interview from the first and second day of play.

5:23 p.m—It was back-and-forth throughout the fourth quarter, but USA West was able to edge out USA South 98-95. The South ran a broken play in the waning seconds, but Joel Berry's look from three was off the mark.

Grayson Allen finished with nine points and two assists, shooting 3-of-8 from the field. Stanley Johnson had a game-high 23 points and 11 rebounds. Ivan Rabb scored seven points and added eight assits, blocking three shots. Elijah Thomas scored four points in 13 minutes.

"I would have liked to have won this, but overall it was a great experience," Allen said. "Coming in second place isn't bad."

D'Angelo Russell and Stanley Johnson were named co-MVPs for the tournament. Kelly Oubre, Justin Jackson and Tyus Jones also earned all-tournament honors.

4:59 p.m.—USA West started the fourth quarter on a 6-0 run to take a 77-72 lead early in the final period. Ivan Rabb had a big slam followed by a transition layup by Stanley Johnson.

4:54 p.m.—Back and forth the teams go in the championship game. USA South leading USA West 72-71 after three quarters. It's been so even all along, fitting that this one will come down to the fourth quarter.

4:41 p.m.—Interesting stretch to start the third quarter of the championship game. Lots of ACC flavor on the floor at once. Three North Carolina commits playing at the same time with Joel Berry and Theo Pinson for the South and Justin Jackson for the West. Jackson was matched up with Duke's Grayson Allen, who just hit his second 3-pointer of the game to stretch his team's lead to 57-48 with 6:04 remaining in the third.

4:23 p.m.—Halftime here at the championship game at the Nike Global Challenge. USA South used a run in the second quarter to open up a lead, but USA West began pulling their way back into the game at the end of the period. The South leads 46-43 at the half.

Generic Script

Grayson Allen has played limited minutes in the first half, scoring just three points. It looks like his left knee could be bothering him. Could be the result of a fall that he took in his previous game, last night against Tyus Jones and the USA Midwest.

Elijah Thomas is having his best game of the tournament for the USA West. He has improved each day, after struggling heavily in the first day of action.

The pool of coaches and scouts has thinned out here at Trinity Washington University, but still a number of big names in the stands. Roy Williams, John Calipari and Tom Izzo are all sitting at center court. USC's Andy Enfield and Stanford's Johnny Dawkins are still in the building as well.

3:59 p.m.—USA South trailing USA West 24-22 after one quarter of play. The West has found a way to slow the pace down, and that works in their favor.

3:54 p.m.—The action here is not as fast-paced as last night's game between the USA South and USA Midwest was, but has been enjoyable nonetheless. The West has found a way to slow the game down and holds a 16-15 lead with 2:50 to play in the first quarter. Grayson Allen just checked in for USA South for the first time.

3:43 p.m.—We're finally underway in the championship game of the Nike Global Challenge. Devin Booker getting the start in favor of Grayson Allen for the South. Ivan Rabb and Stanley Johnson were in the starting lineup for the West. The South jumped out to an early 6-0 lead in the first two minutes of the game, capitalizing on opportunities in transition.

3:17 p.m.—The second half of the third-place game between the USA Midwest and USA East was a lot less competitive than the first. The Midwest took a convincing 133-108 victory, but it appeared both teams were merely playing for show in the fourth quarter. Not sure how you could blame them at this point—both teams were playing their fourth game in three days, and the Midwest played twice yesterday, including the last game of the night which against the South, which was more like a track meet.

Players were trying to have fun with each other and show off their skills throughout the fourth quarter as the game opened up. Benches laughed and egged their teammates on as 1-on-1 battles emerged and the coaches joked with opposing players.

Next up is the grand finale, where the USA South will face the USA West in the championship game at the Nike Global Challenge. With Grayson Allen squaring off with 2014 Duke target Stanley Johnson and 2015 targets Ivan Rabb and Elijah Thomas, this should be a fun way to cap off the weekend.

2:33 p.m.—Late start for us today on championship Saturday of the Nike Global Challenge. The first two matchups of the day were international affairs, with France beating Brazil and Canada defeating Pan Africa.

USA Midwest leads USA East 60-49 at halftime of the weekend's penultimate game. Both teams finished second in their respective pools. Tyus Jones has seven points at the half on 3-of-4 from the floor, and also has two assists. Reid Travis is leading the Midwest squad with 14 points and has been one of the standouts of this tournament. For the East, Robert Johnson leads the way with 17 points at halftime.

In case you missed the big recruiting news this morning, USA South wing Devin Booker has reportedly cut his list to five schools, excluding Duke. Booker had originally said earlier this week that he planned on waiting until later in the summer to cut his list, but apparently he had other ideas.

Share and discuss “2013 Nike Global Challenge: Day 3” on social media.