Ryan Kelly selected by Lakers in 2013 NBA draft

The Devils took down the Florida State Seminoles, previously undefeated in the ACC, Saturday at Indoor Cameron Stadium

He didn't work out for a single NBA team, but Ryan Kelly is now an NBA draft pick.

The Duke forward was taken by the Los Angeles Lakers in the second round of the 2013 NBA draft, with the 48th overall selection. Kelly was the second Duke player taken in this year's NBA draft. Mason Plumlee was taken by the Brooklyn Nets in the first round, with the 22nd overall pick.

Although his injury status left his draft stock uncertain, Kelly remained confident that he belonged in the NBA, telling The Chronicle that he and his agent expected him to be drafted in the second round.

Kelly averaged 12.9 points and 5.3 rebounds per game during his senior season, but showed flashes of brilliance before going down with a right foot injury that sidelined him for 13 games. Kelly returned and played through the injury for the remainder of the season, notching a 36-point performance against Miami in his first game back in the lineup.

He had surgery on the foot shortly after the season's conclusion, preventing him from participating in workouts with any NBA teams.

"I went to a couple of doctors and came to the conclusion that I wouldn’t hurt it anymore by playing. So I got to go back out and play but it was all based on how I could tolerate pain," Kelly said in an interview with The Chronicle last week. "They haven’t really seen me on a basketball court, but fortunately when you play at a place like Duke for four years, if you haven’t seen my by now you haven’t been watching."

Kelly should be a good fit in Mike D'Antoni's offense, which utilizes his power forward to spread the floor. Shooting 42.2 percent from beyond the arc in his senior season, one of Kelly's main draws to NBA scouts was his versatility.

“There’s a need for a guy in the NBA and there’s room for a guy in the NBA who is big, and can shoot the basketball, and play that stretch four position,” Kelly said. “It’s a real commodity.”

The likely departure of center Dwight Howard could leave a gaping hole in the Lakers' frontcourt. Pau Gasol has a firm grasp on his starting spot and Antawn Jamison was a consistent contributor off the bench last season. Otherwise, Kelly could have an opportunity to make an impact early on.

Share and discuss “Ryan Kelly selected by Lakers in 2013 NBA draft” on social media.