Ryan Kelly confident about NBA future

Ryan Kelly was in the midst of a career year, but his senior season was derailed by a foot injury. That same injury forced him into offseason surgery and three months of rehab, keeping him from working out for any NBA teams prior to Thursday’s NBA draft.

But despite the uncertainty that has surrounded Kelly throughout his NBA draft process, there is one thing he is certain of—that he belongs in the NBA.

“[My agent and I] believe I’m going to be drafted in the second round,” Kelly said. “Where exactly, we don’t know. There have been teams throughout the second round who have shown significant interest.”

Kelly has not been able to work out for teams since undergoing surgery on his right foot, but has found a way to set his best foot forward when dealing with NBA teams. In the midst of his rehab program, Kelly traveled to the NBA Combine to allow teams to view his injury progress for themselves. 

“Being invited to the Combine, and having an opportunity to interview and go through the medical process to let everybody see for themselves that this is an injury that would never be a problem again was huge,” Kelly said. “It’s certainly a different process for a guy that’s injured, but I always believe that it will all work out, and no matter what I’ll have my opportunity.”

Even though Kelly has been unable to participate in any physical work on the court, he has still traveled throughout the country to meet and interview with a number of NBA teams, including the Chicago Bulls, Los Angeles Clippers and Atlanta Hawks. The Bulls and Hawks sit at picks No. 49 and 50 in Thursday’s draft, respectively. The Clippers do not hold a second-round pick.

In his interviews, Kelly has heard questions ranging from basketball basics to obscure oddities. His favorite so far: why is a manhole cover round?

“I actually knew the answer to that one,” Kelly said with a chuckle. “There are actually two reasons. One is because you can turn it anyway and you won’t fall through. The other is that it is much easier for moving. You can just roll it.”

Kelly’s rehab will draw to a close in the weeks following the NBA draft. But until then, he has no choice but to allow his interviews speak for themselves.

“Obviously I can’t go out to a workout, and that’s unbelievably frustrating for me,” Kelly said. “I wish I was out there working out and showing what I can do, but bottom line is I can’t. I have what I have, and have to give what I can give.”

When Kelly does step out onto a court for his first live action since the injury, he said hopes hat is with an NBA franchise who recognizes his versatile skillset.

“There’s a need for a guy in the NBA and there’s room for a guy in the NBA who is big, and can shoot the basketball, and play that stretch four position,” Kelly said. “It’s a real commodity.”

Without having to focus on proving to teams what he can do on the floor, Kelly said he enjoys being able to focus on showing team what kind of person they would be inviting to join their franchise.

Kelly said that during his interview process he learned how extensive team’s background checks are, searching for any sort of character flaws or red flags before investing their future in a player.

“They know that the guys that are problems really create issues in a locker room. I think throughout my Duke career I’ve shown that I’m a leader,” Kelly said. “I’m the type of person that is going to be great in the locker room, that’s a hard worker, that is going to be in a gym, putting in the time and putting in the hours. I think there’s a lot of teams that need someone like that.”

Should Kelly not hear his name called Thursday night, Kelly said the decision between pursuing an opportunity in Europe and playing in the D-League would be an easy one. Although Kelly’s agent, Alex Saratsis of Octagon Sports, has extensive experience dealing with top players overseas, Kelly said he believes that the NBA is his destiny.

“My agent and I believe that I’m an NBA player. Whatever that route is to get to the NBA, I’m going to take,” Kelly said. “There are players that don’t get drafted that end up playing in the NBA, and we believe that I could be one of them. I want to stay here and I want to stay here because I’ll have the opportunity to stay here.”

Two of Kelly’s teammates on the 2010 national championship squad have taken the road less traveled to NBA careers. Forward Lance Thomas spent multiple years in the D-League before latching on with the New Orleans Pelicans, and Kyle Singler played a full year overseas before joining the Detroit Pistons and earning an NBA All-Rookie selection.

“There are a lot of paths to get into the position to fulfill your dreams. You don’t know what the right one is until all of those opportunities present themselves, but you can take comfort in the fact that there’s so many ways to get there.”

Share and discuss “Ryan Kelly confident about NBA future” on social media.