Rodney Hood withdraws from World University Games, out 4-6 weeks

(Update 10:35 p.m.): Duke forward Rodney Hood's achilles injury will keep him sidelined for four to six weeks.

Head coach Mike Krzyzewski released a statement Friday night commenting on Hood's injury.

"Rodney had his right foot and ankle evaluated by our doctors upon his return to Durham Friday," Krzyzewski said in the statement. "The injury is not believed to be serious, but it will require the proper rest and treatment to heal completely. Rodney is in good spirits and we're excited to know he'll be healthy and ready to go in 2013-14."

A short recovery time for Hood will allow the team to prepare for the 2013-14 campaign with limited hinderance. Last year's squad was familiar to dealing with injuries, as seniors Seth Curry and Ryan Kelly played through nagging ailments for the majority of the season.

Hood will not play for the United States in the 2013 World University Games after sustaining an injury to his right achilles Wednesday evening.

Generic Script

Hood was named one of the team's 16 finalists after competing alongside 26 participants at the team's training camp in Colorado Springs, Colo. Hood redshirted last season after transferring to Duke from Mississippi State.

“I feel so sorry for Rodney,” USA head coach Bob McKillop said in a press release. “He committed himself fully to be a part of this team, and we will miss him. He would have been a valuable team member for USA Basketball.”

Steve Wiseman of the Durham Herald-Sun spoke to Hood's father, Ricky, and confirmed that was no tear in his achilles. Both Ricky and Rodney remain optimistic that the injury can be treated without surgery.

“He has some swelling and soreness,” Ricky Hood said. “We haven’t gotten a definitive answer yet. We know there is no tear. But there is a lot of soreness and that kind of thing.”

“He feels like its something he can treat and we have total confidence in the Duke training staff,” Hood said. “It’s a missed opportunity for him but we’d rather be safe than sorry.”\

Hood, who averaged 10.3 points and 4.8 rebounds during his freshman season at Mississippi State and was named to the SEC All-Freshman Team. He is expected to be a key piece to Duke's starting lineup next season.

Share and discuss “Rodney Hood withdraws from World University Games, out 4-6 weeks” on social media.