Mike Krzyzewski participates in first-ever #HeroesHangout

Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski held his first-ever #HeroesHangout Monday morning, speaking to seven members of the U.S. Army stationed at Fort Gordon, Ga., Fort Carson, Colo. and Garmisch, Germany.

In a 25-minute conversation with the soldiers, Krzyzewski addressed the topics of leadership and teamwork as well as the important relationship between the armed forces and USA Basketball. Directly after the hangout when he met with The Chronicle for their annual exclusive interview, Krzyzewski said the hangout showed him the new ways technology can help him to maintain a close relationship with members of the armed forces. Check out Krzyzewski's first #HeroesHangout with soldiers from around the globe:

Youtube Player

Krzyzewski graduated from West Point in 1969 after playing four years under then-head coach Bob Knight. He went on to serve in the Army for three years, earning the rank of Captain.

Serving as co-moderator for the #HeroesHangout was Duke's former Director of Basketball Operations, Chris Spatola. Spatola also played college basketball at Army before serving and earning the rank of Captain. Since leaving Duke, Spatola has pursued a broadcasting career with CBS.

Generic Script

Krzyzewski has turned to the armed forces as an example throughout his coaching career. The Blue Devil head coach took his team to train at Fort Bragg last fall, and during the hangout he mentions the time his U.S. Men's National Team spent with the military before departing for the 2012 Olympic Games as one of the pivotal moments in the squad's development.

Share and discuss “Mike Krzyzewski participates in first-ever #HeroesHangout” on social media.