Mason Plumlee selected by the Brooklyn Nets in the NBA draft

Mason Plumlee was selected 22nd overall in the 2013 NBA draft by the Brooklyn Nets.

Mason Plumlee won't have to take a long trip from the Barclays Centre stage to his new locker room.

The Duke forward was been selected by the Brooklyn Nets with the 22nd overall pick in the 2013 NBA draft. Plumlee was the first Blue Devil to be selected this year.

"I am really excited to join the Brooklyn Nets,” Plumlee said in a press release. “I have worked hard to get to this spot and it is rewarding to be selected in the first round of the NBA Draft. I am eager to get to Brooklyn to meet my new teammates and coaches."

Plumlee averaged 17.1 points, 10.0 rebounds and 1.4 blocks in his senior season at Duke. He was named a second-team All-American by the Associated Press. His older brother, Miles, was the 26th overall pick by the Indiana Pacers in last year's NBA draft. His younger brother, Marshall, will be a redshirt sophomore for the Blue Devils this year.

Mason, a 6-foot-11 23-year-old is one of the more experienced players in this year's draft class. He was just the third college graduate to be selected in first 22 picks of the 2013 draft.

Center Brook Lopez and power forward Kris Humphries patrol the paint for the Nets, but Plumlee should have an opportunity to compete for playing time in Brooklyn's frontcourt, which lacks depth. Plumlee is the first draft pick for first-year head coach Jason Kidd, who played for the New York Knicks last season. Brooklyn's general manager, Billy King, played for the Blue Devils and head coach Mike Krzyzewski from 1984-87.

Two of Plumlee's former Duke teammates, Ryan Kelly and Seth Curry, have yet to be selected in the NBA draft. Both could be late second round picks. Plumlee was quick to thank his coaches and teammates as he embarked on his NBA career.

"Duke and Coach K were instrumental in helping me get to this position," Plumlee said. "Many of lessons I learned in Durham will help me continue to grow and develop during the next phase of my basketball journey.

This post was last updated at 10:15 p.m.

Share and discuss “Mason Plumlee selected by the Brooklyn Nets in the NBA draft” on social media.