Boeheim, Thibodeau, Williams to join Krzyzewski on USA Basketball staff

Update (2:10 p.m.): USA Basketball has confirmed in a press release that Jim Boeheim, Tom Thibodeau and Monty Williams will serve as Mike Krzyzewski's assistant coaches for the next four years.

"To work with Jim Boeheim again, who's as close of a friend as you can have in this profession and also one of the brilliant coaches in the history of our game, to have him right along side me is fantastic," Krzyzewsi said in a press release. "We've done that for the last seven years, we're going to do it for four more."

Krzyzewski cited Thibodeau's defensive mindset and his teams' toughness as the reasons he makes a worthy addition to the USA Basketball staff.

"To have Tom Thibodeau join us, I think his reputation speaks for itself," Krzyzewski said. "He was a great assistant who has become an outstanding pro coach, and nobody wants to play the Bulls. The toughness that they show, their togetherness, their competitiveness, and the preparation that is there, that is shown by he and his staff. I think he is one of the best defensive coaches, his defensive game plans are incredible, and so I'm really looking forward to working with him."

The Duke head coach also lauded Williams' reputation as a players coach, citing his relationship with former Blue Devil star Grant Hill, who announced his retirement form the NBA last week after 19 years in the league.

"He is someone who is well respected in the NBA. The players love playing for him. I actually know him some because he is a very close friend of Grant Hill, I've met him a number of times, and I'm looking forward to working with him," Krzyzewski said. "I think the different personalities that we have on this staff and the different strong suits of each coach will make all of us better. I'm anxious to get started."

When Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski pledged his return to USA Basketball through the 2016 Olympics, he indicated that Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim would likely rejoin his staff as well.

The Associated Press' Brian Mahoney reported Monday morning that Krzyzewski had selected Chicago Bulls head coach Tom Thibodeau and New Orleans Pelicans head coach Monty Williams to round out his USA Basketball staff.

https://twitter.com/briancmahoney/status/344087257709432833

Thibodeau's Bulls were recently bounced by the Miami Heat in the Eastern Conference Semifinals. Williams' Pelicans finished the 2012-13 NBA season 27-55 after missing significant time from Eric Gordon and No. 1 overall pick Anthony Davis due to injuries.

Krzyzewski had also previously alluded to roles for associate head coaches Steve Wojciechowski and Jeff Capel and video coordinator Kevin Cullen could play on his USA Basketball staff as well, although those positions have not yet been finalized.

Team USA is scheduled to hold its first mini-camp of the 2016 quadrennium July 22-25 in Las Vegas. Former Duke star Kyrie Irving is among those invited to attend.

Share and discuss “Boeheim, Thibodeau, Williams to join Krzyzewski on USA Basketball staff” on social media.