Is Todd Zafirovski coming back next year?

Duke basketball will play its final home game of the 2012-2013 campaign tonight, hosting Virginia Tech at Cameron Indoor Stadium at 7 p.m.

As the last home game of the season, it's senior night for Duke's four seniors. Or wait, is it three?

The three seniors and the core of this year's Duke team—Seth Curry, Ryan Kelly and Mason Plumlee—are most certainly gone after this season.

But what about senior and former walk-on Todd Zafirovski? From some of the players on Twitter, it looks like Zafirovski could be back another year. Zafirovski did not appear in a game in the 2009-2010 season, so theoretically, he has another year of eligibility left.

Here's the Twitter timeline, starting with former Blue Devil Nolan Smith and with a response from Josh Hairston:

Alex Murphy also chimed in along the same lines:

Zafirovski scored his first points as a Blue Devil this season, after which The Chronicle's Tom Gieryn penned this tremendous feature, titled "Todd Zafirovski never says never" quoted below:

Todd Zafirovski was never going to attend Duke University.

The day applications were due, Zafirovski announced he wasn't going to apply to the school he had dreamed of attending since his family lived in Raleigh.

The 6-foot-8 forward had been a four-time letterwinner in basketball at Lake Forest Academy in suburban Chicago, earning all-conference honors in three of those seasons. A number of schools, including several smaller Division I institutions, had come calling with scholarship offers. Without the pedigree to be a scholarship player at Duke, Zafirovski was unconvinced that his credentials would earn him admission to such a top-notch university. His father insisted that he apply anyway.

Todd Zafirovski was never going to play basketball for Duke.

After being admitted to the University and holding conversations over the summer with the Blue Devil coaching staff, he showed up for practice during the first week of the Fall semester.

“If nothing else, you can be a manager,” the coaches told him.

And in the first workout of his college career, as a 6-foot-8 freshman, he was matched up defensively against 7-foot-1, 260-pound senior Brian Zoubek. He was overmatched, but the coaching staff kept him around as a practice player.

“They just never told me to leave,” Zafirovski said, “so I just kept coming back.”

Share and discuss “Is Todd Zafirovski coming back next year?” on social media.