Who should start: Amile Jefferson or Josh Hairston?

In Ryan Kelly's absence, still sidelined indefinitely with a foot injury, junior forward Josh Hairston has started both games in his place. But freshman forward Amile Jefferson has received praise for his play in an increased role, grabbing 10 rebounds against Georgia Tech and scoring 10 points against N.C. State.

After the game, Duke basketball head coach Mike Krzyzewski said he didn't know who would start against Miami.

“I don’t know who the hell is going to start next week," Coach K said. "Should we have people mail in who we should start? If it generates tweets and followers for people, we’re all for that.”

Two of The Chronicle's men's basketball beat writers, Bobby Colton and Andrew Beaton, sat down to debate who should start.

Andrew Beaton: Bobby, Amile has looked better and better in the last two games in the absence of Kelly, do you think he deserves the starting nod against Miami?

Bobby Colton: Amile absolutely deserves the start this Wednesday. His length on the offensive glass has been a huge lift for Duke. His crafty play and knack for being in the right place at the right time is irreplaceable. However, Hairston does represent that bruising big man who can make a difference on the defensive end.

AB: I agree that Amile has stepped up in a tremendous way, but I personally like that he's done it off the bench. I think sometimes it's important to have that spark off the bench, even if the player ultimately ends up playing more minutes than the starter. If the offense or defense is looking a bit stale after four minutes into the game, it can be key to have that type of player who can provide energy.

BC: While a spark off the bench is important, this year's Duke team has developed a habit of starting slow and having poor first halves. Against better teams like Miami there may not be time for Duke to recover from that slow start in the second half. Besides, a guy like Alex Murphy, who has played well in spare minutes, could be that guy to provide the spark off the pine.

AB: The one thing I like is that Hairston can bring a physicality that can tire out an opponent. He's calmed down some since he has joined the starting lineup, but I'm just fine with him picking up quick fouls. He's a willing rebounder who could really frustrate opponents with his body, pushing them around and tiring them out. If he gets five fouls in 15 minutes of play but tortures an opponent in those 15 minutes, that's a great performance from him. Plus, taking an early charge is always good for momentum and we all know Josh is good at that.

BC: Hairston's propensity for fouls certainly doesn't make him a worse candidate than Jefferson, who fouled out in 12 minutes last week in Raleigh. While drawing charges is good early, a well timed offensive foul could certainly provide that aforementioned spark off the bench. Hairston is a crucial member of this team, but that doesn't mean Jefferson's recent exceptional play shouldn't be rewarded with a start.

[polldaddy poll=6846027]

Share and discuss “Who should start: Amile Jefferson or Josh Hairston?” on social media.