StatChat: Crash the Boards

Mike Krzyzewski was all smiles last week after a win over then-No. 4 Ohio State, deeming one the most hallowed sporting venues in the country "Club Cameron." Of course, Coach K had plenty to smile about. Duke is now 8-0, with wins over three top-five teams and a handful of NCAA Tournament quality squads as well. The resume speaks for itself, but there's a problem: it's only December and the Blue Devils have plenty to work on over the next three-to-four months.

Despite having a size in advantage in most of their contests this season, Duke has been weak on the glass. The Blue Devils rank an uninspiring 177th in the country in total rebounds per game. The knock on Duke teams in the past is that they're soft in the post, but the same can not be said this season with seniors Mason Plumlee and Ryan Kelly. Both have done an excellent job guarding man-to-man on defense. Kelly alone has blocked 18 shots this season, only 13 fewer than his total last season.

The problem is when opposing team's get a shot off. In the team's eight contests thus far, opposing teams are averaging nearly five more offensive rebounds per contest (13.9 compared to 9.1). Mason has 68 defensive rebounds on the year, accounting for a third of team's total thus far, but Kelly has struggled, averaging only 3.1 defensive rebound per game. Kelly, listed at 6-foot-11, must do a better job boxing out and crashing the boards, or Duke will continue to give up too many second chance points (13.8 per game).

However, I'd be remiss to say the Blue Devils' backcourt hasn't done their part on the defensive glass. Quinn Cook, averaging 5.9 assists per game as the team's point guard, also has tallied 25 defensive rebounds on the season. Rasheed Sulaimon, primarily playing at the small forward position this year, has accumulated 27 defensive rebounds this year, two more than Kelly. The two have used their speed and timing to needle into the paint and collect rebounds, which has been huge for a team primarily depending on Mason to do all of the rebounding. Sulaimon has also played a big part on the offensive glass, with seven offensive rebounds thus far. The freshman's play keeps offensive possessions alive, a contributing factor towards Duke's 9.1 second chance points per game.

It is evident that the Blue Devils have improved in a number of categories and it has shown in the win column; however, with increased tenacity on the glass, Duke could become a title favorite in the months to come.

Share and discuss “StatChat: Crash the Boards” on social media.