Week 13: Around the ACC

The Blue Devils fell in a close game with post-season ineligible Miami, finishing the season at 6-6 and becoming bowl eligible for the first time since 1994. There were many games with post-season implications as rivalry games were played around the ACC.

Georgia Tech 10, Georgia 42

The Yellow Jackets never had a chance as the Bulldogs bulldozed the Coastal Division champions. Georgia running backs Todd Gurley and Keith Marshall combined for 163 yards rushing and four touchdowns. Quarterback Aaron Murray added another two touchdowns through the air, in addition to completing over 80 percent of his passes. Despite amassing 306 yards rushing, Georgia Tech was unable to score until midway through the fourth quarter off a nine-yard run by running back David Sims. Georgia Tech, who won the Coastal Division due in part to Miami and UNC being post-season ineligible, will face Florida State in the ACC Championship game on December 1st.

Virginia 14, Virginia Tech 17

In a tough defensive battle, the Hokies managed to come away with the win against the Cavaliers to become bowl eligible. Virginia Tech quarterback Logan Thomas struck first with a seven-yard touchdown pass to Randall Dunn, but Virginia quarterback Michael Rocco responded with a 42-yard strike to Tim Smith. In the second half, Thomas fumbled the ball as he was sacked, which was picked up by the Cavaliers and returned for a touchdown. Thomas made up for the blunder with a four-yard touchdown run. Hokie kicker Cody Journell hit a 29-yard field goal as time expired for the go-ahead win.

Boston College 10, North Carolina State 27

The Wolfpack chewed away at the Eagles on both sides of the ball. NC State quarterback Mike Glennon threw for 245 yards and three touchdowns, connecting twice with wide receiver Tobais Palmer in under a minute. The Wolfpack defense held the Eagles to 123 yards passing. Boston College quarterback Chase Rettig completed just 35.6 percent of his passes and was intercepted three times, one of which was returned 55 yards for a touchdown.

Maryland 38, North Carolina 45

Tar Heel quarterback Bryn Renner was unstoppable against the Terrapins in this shootout, throwing for 305 yards and five touchdowns. UNC wide receiver Quinshad Davis followed his 16 reception performance last week with a nine reception, 135 yard day that included two touchdowns. Maryland wide receiver Stefon Diggs sprinted untouched for a 99-yard kickoff return to start the second half, giving the Terrapins a two-touchdown lead. The Tar Heels responded with 24 unanswered points, including a one-yard touchdown run by running back Giovanni Bernard. Despite their 8-4 record, the NCAA banned UNC from the post-season as a result of players receiving improper benefits.

Florida 37, Florida State 26

The Gators chomped the Seminoles in the battle for Florida. Florida relied heavy on its running game, accumulating 244 rushing yards, mostly from running back Mike Gillislee, who galloped for 140 yards and two touchdowns. However, this game was won through turnovers, as the Gator defense picked off Seminole quarterback EJ Manuel three times and forced two fumbles. Manuel did rush for two touchdowns, including a 22-yard run as time expired. Florida State clinched the Atlantic Division last weekend against Maryland, and will play in the ACC Championship game against Georgia Tech.

Vanderbilt 55, Wake Forest 21

The Commodores scored seven touchdowns as they trampled the Demon Deacons. Vanderbilt running back Zac Stacy rushed for 180 yards and two touchdowns, including a shifty 90-yard run in the fourth quarter. The key to the Commodore victory was its special teams, which blocked a punt in the end zone and recovered it for the touchdown to start the second half. In addition, wide receiver Jonathan Krause returned a punt 83 yards to the end zone for another score. Wake Forest scored twice on the ground and once more on a fumble recovery returned for a touchdown.

South Carolina 27, Clemson 17

The Gamecocks had no desire to perish in Death Valley, surging past the Tigers in the Battle for South Carolina. Gamecock quarterback Dylan Thompson passed for 310 yards and three touchdowns, two of which were caught by wide receiver Bruce Ellington. The South Carolina defense was able to contain explosive Clemson quarterback Tahj Boyd, who completed a season-low 11 passes and threw two interceptions. The Gamecocks were in complete control of the clock, possessing the ball for nearly 40 minutes. Both teams finish 10-2, but second within their respective divisions in their conferences.

Share and discuss “Week 13: Around the ACC” on social media.