Week 11: Around the ACC

It was a quiet bye weekend in Durham as the Blue Devils prepared for their matchup against Georgia Tech. Here's a rundown of the big games in the ACC this week.

Florida State 28, Virginia Tech 22

In a game with five lead changes, quarterbacks EJ Manuel and Logan Thomas proved their leadership for their respective teams. The two were involved in every scoring play, combining for over 600 passing yards and five all-purpose touchdowns. The Seminoles and EJ Manuel would eventually come out on top, as the quarterback completed a 39-yard pass to Rashad Greene with 40 seconds left in the game. On the ensuing Hokie drive, Thomas was intercepted by Florida State's Tyler Hunter to effectively end the game.

Miami 40, Virginia 41

Hurricane and Cavalier fans experienced an unexpected nail-biter Saturday afternoon, as Virginia finished off Miami with six seconds remaining when quarterback Michael Rocco hit Jake McGee for a 10-yard touchdown. Rocco threw for 300 yards and four touchdowns on the game. Miami responded to every Virginia score, with another four passing touchdowns, including one tossed by running back Duke Johnson. Johnson also added a 95-yard kickoff returned during which he went untouched into the end zone. In the end, Miami could not stop Virginia’s air attack, ultimately causing their heartbreaking loss.

Georgia Tech 68, North Carolina 50

Contrary to popular belief, this was a football game and not a basketball game. A total of 16 touchdowns were scored, including seven Georgia Tech rushing touchdowns from five different rushers, a 100-yard kickoff return by Yellow Jacket Jamal Golden, and a 34-yard pick six by Tar Heel Tim Scott. UNC led by one at the half, but Georgia Tech surged in the third quarter on the legs of running back Robert Godhigh and his three straight touchdowns, two rushing and one receiving. The fourth quarter was relatively low scoring, with only a combined 17 points tacked on.

Wake Forest 6, NC State 37

The Wolfpack became bowl eligible with their powerful win against the Demon Deacons. NC State looked strong on all sides of the ball, scoring through the air, on the ground, and returning the opening kickoff of the second half 100 yards for a touchdown. The Wolfpack defense held Wake Forest to 16 yards rushing and 185 total yards, allowing only nine first downs and two third-down completions. Needless to say, NC State was in complete control of this football game.

Maryland 10, Clemson 45

Quarterback Tahj Boyd and the Tigers continued to claw the competition this week, striking early with five touchdowns in the first half. Clemson’s defense was seemingly impenetrable, forcing three fumbles and holding Maryland quarterback Shawn Petty to 41 passing yards and a 50 percent completion rate. Though Petty struggled, freshman running back Brandon Ross found some success, collecting 100 yards on the ground for the first time in his collegiate career. Clemson remains at the top of the ACC at 9-1, although Florida State holds the tiebreaker.

Notre Dame 21, Boston College 6

The Eagles were grounded Saturday night, failing to reach the endzone against undefeated powerhouse Notre Dame. Fighting Irish Quarterback Everett Golson was very efficient, completing 75 percent of his passes for 200 yards and two touchdowns, and drew first blood with a two-yard touchdown run. Boston College could not find any rhythm, gaining only 53 yards on the ground and 247 yards passing. The “Holy War” ended with Notre Dame remaining undefeated and moving closer to their goal of reaching the national championship game.

Share and discuss “Week 11: Around the ACC” on social media.