North Carolina basketball preview

North Carolina 2011-2012 season: (32-6, 14-2 ACC)

Head coach: Roy Williams

Despite having four starters selected in the first round of the 2012 NBA Draft, North Carolina will count on a talented but unproven roster to try and repeat last season’s Elite Eight run. Reggie Bullock, a gifted scorer who shot 38.2 percent from beyond the arc, is the Tar Heels’ lone returning starter. Williams will have another excellent long-range option in Leslie McDonald, who missed last season with a torn ACL after leading North Carolina in 3-point shooting two years ago. Down low, sophomore James Michael McAdoo passed up a chance to turn pro after his freshman season, and has the talent to dramatically increase his production from last year’s 6.1 points and 3.9 boards per game. Desmond Hubert, a 6-foot-9 sophomore who played fewer than five minutes per game last year, may also earn a chance to assume a larger role.

Incoming phenom point guard Marcus Paige will offer healthy competition for incumbent Dexter Strickland, who averaged 7.5 points per game before suffering an ACL injury of his own Jan. 19. The freshman Paige boasts excellent range and ball handling ability, and his skills give him a legitimate shot to start as a true freshman. Sophomore and Greensboro native P.J. Hairston, an excellent free-throw shooter with a capacity for streaky scoring, should only add to the backcourt depth.

Don't miss any of the previews, features, opinion and analysis in our 2012-2013 ACC basketball preview

North Carolina has also ushers in a bevy of new frontcourt talent. Four-star power forwards Brice Johnson and Joel James add size, strength and power to Williams’ roster, and high-flying wing J.P. Tokoto’s explosive athleticism makes for many highlight-reel plays.

The loss of four NBA first-round picks will undoubtedly set the Tar Heels back, but Williams’ squad has plenty of talent if young players and veterans returning from injury can perform up to their potential.

One thing that needs to go right: After turning down the chance to play professionally, James Michael McAdoo must make a noteworthy impact for the Tar Heels this season.

One thing that could go wrong: North Carolina lacks proven leadership, which could be especially problematic in big games down the road.

The starting five: small forward Dexter Strickland, power forward James Michael McAdoo, center Joel James, shooting guard Reggie Bullock and point guard Marcus Paige.

Projected finish in the ACC: 3rd

Share and discuss “North Carolina basketball preview” on social media.