N.C. State basketball preview

N.C. State 2011-2012 season: (24-13, 9-7 ACC)

Head coach: Mark Gottfried

After an impressive late-season run last year, the Wolfpack are expected to challenge Triangle rivals Duke and North Carolina for the ACC crown, as well as contend for a national title. On paper, N.C. State is arguably the best team in the ACC, with a wealth of talent highlighted by returning starters C.J. Leslie and Lorenzo Brown, who were both preseason first-team All-ACC selections. The two veterans will get plenty of help from the conference’s best crop of freshman—combo guard Rodney Purvis, small forward T.J. Warren and point guard Tyler Lewis.

Don't miss any of the previews, features, opinion and analysis in our 2012-2013 ACC basketball preview

Leslie will be the go-to guy offensively. Widely considered the most athletic player in the ACC, the 6-foot-9 hybrid forward was a monster down the stretch last season, averaging 14.7 points and 7.3 rebounds per game on the year. A heady floor general with above-average athleticism, Brown was disciplined and effective last season, tallying 12.7 points and 6.3 assists per game. Senior forward Scott Wood is the team’s best shooter, shooting nearly 41 percent from 3-point range in 2011-12. After averaging 10.8 points and 9.2 rebounds last season, bruising 6-foot-8 big man Richard Howell gives the team another tough inside presence.

The newcomers will add scoring production of their own from the outset. Purvis, a dynamic 6-foot-3 slasher, will be difficult for any defender to stay in front of. Warren at 6-foot-8 has great size and versatility with the ability to consistently connect from long-range. Backing up Brown, Lewis should be a reliable facilitator off the bench.

One thing that needs to go right: Leslie consistently brings it every night, plays to his talent level and establishes himself as a leader.

One thing that could go wrong: Whether or not Purvis buys into the team concept and jives with the rest of the squad could ultimately be the difference between a Final Four run and a first-weekend NCAA Tournament flameout for the Wolfpack.

The starting five: small forward Scott Wood, power forward C.J. Leslie, center Richard Howell, shooting guard Rodney Purvis and point guard Lorenzo Brown.

Projected finish in the ACC: 2nd

Share and discuss “N.C. State basketball preview” on social media.