Duke basketball takes on Winston-Salem State in the second exhibition

The Devils took down the Florida State Seminoles, previously undefeated in the ACC, Saturday at Indoor Cameron Stadium

Saturday’s opener against Western Washington was not as one-sided as many might have expected, so Duke will take the floor tonight in its second exhibition game looking to prevent its opponent from staying in the game.

The visiting Vikings kept things exciting for students and visiting families Saturday, scoring 48 points in the second half and cutting the lead to 11 midway through the period, but Duke’s superior athleticism and talent helped close out the 105-87 defeat.

Tonight’s preseason contest against Winston-Salem State at Cameron Indoor Stadium will provide the No. 3 Blue Devils with a valuable opportunity to improve their team defense while maintaining offensive production.

The Rams lack the offensive talent to present much of a threat to beat Duke, but they are experienced enough to at least give the Blue Devils a challenge. The defending 2012 CIAA champions have five returning starters and are determined to give Duke a fight, Winston-Salem head coach Bobby Collins said.

Collins emphasized the importance of the team’s returning leaders in having a chance to do this.

“Anytime you’re getting ready to play a team like Duke, you want to have some stability,” Collins said. “We know how talented Duke is. We just have to go in and play like we are capable, take care of the basketball, and give ourselves a chance.”

The Rams’ leading scorer from last year, Justin Glover, returns to the fold after averaging 15.2 points per game last season. Sophomore forward WyKevin Bazemore will accompany Glover in the starting five after a freshman campaign in which he averaged 10.5 points and a team-high 8.3 rebounds per game.

The performance of Winston-Salem State’s frontcourt will be crucial against Duke, as the Division II squad faces a significant size disadvantage. Kimani Hunt and Joseph Thompson both bring size and athleticism to the unit at 6-foot-6 and 6-foot-7, but forward Stephon Platt will be the Blue Devils’ main point of concern. Coming off a double-double in last year’s conference championship victory, the 6-foot-8 North Carolina native could be just the presence the Rams need.

“There’s no question about [Stephon’s] output. He’s a very talented young man that can really score the basketball,” Collins said. “We believe that if Stephon goes, we go.”

Collins’ veteran backcourt, led by Glover, should provide much-needed stability for the Rams. Senior Marcus Wells, excellent at finding scoring opportunities for his teammates, will run the point after averaging a team-high 3.2 assists and 2.2 steals per game last season.

Winston-Salem State is also be glad to have senior guard Dominic Alston back from last year’s season-ending knee injury.

“Dom [is] a very talented young man, very athletic and can really shoot the basketball,” Collins said. “He’s a fifth-year senior, so I’m looking for a lot of leadership from him.”

Share and discuss “Duke basketball takes on Winston-Salem State in the second exhibition” on social media.